PROBLEM USING DATASET DESIGNER

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
JORGEMAL

PROBLEM USING DATASET DESIGNER

Post by JORGEMAL » Wed 04 Nov 2009 19:27

I am trying to design a dataset using Devart dataset designer but I have a problem. The steps I follow are:

1. From Visual Studio 2008 I choose the Tools Menu/PostgreSQL/Dataset Wizard..., I get the welcome window and click Next.

2. I select a New dataset ang give it a name (ClientOrder). The checkbox "Use provider-specific code generator when creating type DataSet" is checked by default. I click Next.

3. The "Choose database objects" window is shown so I choose a connection and select only one table for testing purposes. i do not change any other option and click Next.

4. I get the "Setup individual data tables" window, click on the table shown in the "Data tables" section and click the "Configure Commands" button. At this moment I get the following error message:
"Object reference not set to an instance of an object." I continue anyway clicking Next.

5. The "Configure column mappings" window is shown, I leave everything as is and click Next.

6. The "Configure data relations" window appears and click Generate.

The dataset is generated but I need to specify a parameter to the query, that is why I want to Configure Commands in step 4 but I receive an error.

7. So, I right click the table adapter generated and select the Configure... option and the "TableAdapter Configuration Wizard is shown" with a box to type/modify the SQL statement so I write the following:
select * from restaurant.menu where menu.id=:prmid and click Next.

8. I leave the names of the methods unchanged, click Next and get the Wizard Results as follows:
"Parameter prmid is missing."

Please let me know what I am doing wrond in step 4 and step 8.

I am using Visual Studio 2008 and have dotConnect for PostgreSQL v4.0.12 installed.

NOTE:
I read the dotConnect documentation and I see the following:
"The behavior of Wizard slightly differs depending on whether you had some Windows Forms or Web Forms Designer focused when the DataSet Wizard was invoked."

If I am developing a web application please let me know how to "focus" the web forms designer because when starting the Devart Dataset Wizard there is a messge saying that "No Form Designer selected. If you want to use some existing components close all open documents, open required Form Designer, focus on it and then try agin.".

Regards,
Jorge Maldonado

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 05 Nov 2009 15:01

1. NRE mentioned in your 4 step was fixed for WinForms projects in the latest 4.65.52 version of dotConnect for PostgreSQL (http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15996). We have reproduced it with ASP.NET Web Application. I will notify you when this problem is fixed.

2. As for the 8 step, Microsoft's DataSet Editor is not adjusted to work with PostgreSQL, it doesn't parse the PostgreSQL's specific keywords like "limit" or schema names before the table name (e.g., "postgres"."public"."mytable"). We recommend using our DataSet Wizard. We will fix the problem with NRE as soon as possible.

3. Devart DataSet can be used only in run time for web projects (it is not available in design time).

JORGEMAL

Post by JORGEMAL » Thu 05 Nov 2009 17:49

Shalex wrote:1. NRE mentioned in your 4 step was fixed for WinForms projects in the latest 4.65.52 version of dotConnect for PostgreSQL (http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15996). We have reproduced it with ASP.NET Web Application. I will notify you when this problem is fixed.

2. As for the 8 step, Microsoft's DataSet Editor is not adjusted to work with PostgreSQL, it doesn't parse the PostgreSQL's specific keywords like "limit" or schema names before the table name (e.g., "postgres"."public"."mytable"). We recommend using our DataSet Wizard. We will fix the problem with NRE as soon as possible.

3. Devart DataSet can be used only in run time for web projects (it is not available in design time).
* Is there an estimated date to fix the issue in answer 1?

* What do you exaclty mean in answer 3? Do I have to write the whole code to generate datasets? Can Devart's Dataset Wizard be of any help?

I am confused. I do not really know if Devart's Dataset Wizard can be used in my web project.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 06 Nov 2009 09:50

1. We will fix the problem with NRE and send you a special build next week. Please send me (alexsh at devart*com) your registration e-mail and your license number.
2. You can use Devart DataSet Wizard for DataSet generation, but there is no way to create an instance of DataSet and put it on Form in web project as you can do it in WinForms. You can create an instance of the generated DataSet in run time. Please use PgSqlDataSource for design time development.

JORGEMAL

Post by JORGEMAL » Fri 06 Nov 2009 18:24

I am using dotConnect for PostgreSQL v4.0.
Will the fix work for me?

Regards.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 10 Nov 2009 13:01

The fix will be available for users with valid subscription. If your subscription expired, please renew it.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 10 Nov 2009 15:33

We have fixed the problem with NRE.

JORGEMAL

Post by JORGEMAL » Wed 11 Nov 2009 14:57

Is the fix for the latest version of dotConnect for PostgreSQL only?
I am working with v4.0 and it is not an easy decision to upgrade. It is common to have issues when changing from one version to another.

Anyway, I have already written to Devart Sales Department to get information about renewing because my license expired 2 months ago.

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 13 Nov 2009 14:56

The fix is available only for the latest version at the moment.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 20 Nov 2009 16:18

dotConnect for PostgreSQL v 4.65 is released.
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgr ... nload.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only).
For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16438.