The value cannot be NULL.\r\nParametername: input

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
drichter

Post by drichter » Fri 25 Sep 2009 08:51

I get an error like this:

on a create or an update on a single table via SubmitChanges() ( other tables are working )...

Any ideas?

Stacktrace:

Code: Select all

bei Devart.Data.Linq.v.b(MetaType A_0, q A_1, Boolean A_2)
   bei Devart.Data.Linq.a.a(c A_0, Object A_1, ModifiedMemberInfo[] A_2, Boolean A_3)
   bei Devart.Data.Linq.k.a(a A_0, c A_1, Boolean A_2)
   bei Devart.Data.Linq.k.a(DataContext A_0, ConflictMode A_1)
   bei Devart.Data.Linq.k.b(DataContext A_0, ConflictMode A_1)
   bei Devart.Data.Linq.DataContext.SubmitChanges(ConflictMode failureMode)
   bei Common.DB.BaseModel.Save() in DD:\XXXX\DB\BaseModel.cs:Zeile 34.
   bei Common.DB.StoreModel.CreateStore(Store s) in D:\XXXX\StoreModel.cs:Zeile 40.
   bei WebApp.Controllers.AccountController.Register(String firstName, String lastName, String email, String emailConfirm, String password, String confirmPassword, String usertype, String accesscode, String captcha) in D:\XXXX\AccountController.cs:Zeile 206.

drichter

Post by drichter » Fri 25 Sep 2009 09:21

Ok, now i recreated the entity of that table in the entity developer and now there is now error anymore, but NO UPDATE to the table ( which is even worse )...

When iam investigating at the DataContext, i can see the changed values of the row i changed..

When i call "SubmitChanges()" now, there is no error or something but also no update to the database...

When iam looking at the Logoutput of the DataContext.Log there are only "select-statements" in it, but no UPDATE statement...

So?

Edit: Updates on other tables are still working... Updates via SQL-Editor are also working, so no SQL error or something

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 25 Sep 2009 12:23

Could you please send me (support * devart * com, subject "LINQ: Value cannot be null")
a small test project reproducing the problem?
Please include the script of DB objects into the project.

drichter

Post by drichter » Sun 27 Sep 2009 14:06

i found out why the update is not working...

When iam using the partial of the method "UpdateXXX" like this, it's not updating anything:

public partial class DataContext
    {
        partial void UpdateStore(Store instance)
        {
            instance.Seo_unique_keystring = Tools.GetUniqueStoreSeoString(instance, "");
        }
    }
this way it's working:

public partial class DataContext
    {
        /*partial void UpdateStore(Store instance)
        {
            instance.Seo_unique_keystring = Tools.GetUniqueStoreSeoString(instance, "");
        }*/
    }
Why is this? I really go crazy with this "undocumented" behaviour of this LINQ stuff...

btw. if iam adding a "this.SubmitChanges();" below the update of the instance i get a "StackOverflowException" in "mscorlib.dll"..

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Mon 28 Sep 2009 13:05

Probably you forgot to call the base.ExecuteDynamicUpdate(instance) method.
If you call SubmitChanges in the UpdateStore method, you should expect the StackOverflowException,
because SubmitChanges() calls the UpdateStore method.

drichter

Post by drichter » Thu 01 Oct 2009 13:10

Thanks!