Licensing issue - again

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
glose

Licensing issue - again

Post by glose » Wed 23 Sep 2009 19:44

I have an assembly that provides data access to our system and am attempting to provide it to various 3rd party partners of ours. The continually receive licensing errors.

One of them contacted devart support and received this response -

"The XXX assembly (class library) was compiled with our license resource. Particularly, the licenses.config file of that project contains the list of all *.exe files which will use this library. If the name of your *.exe file was not included to the list in licenses.config, you cannot use that library. You need to get sources of SOAPWare, add your *.exe file name to licenses.config and recompile SOAPWare to be able to use it."

So in order to allow people to use my assembly I will have to embed their exe name into my project and reissue a new release ? That isn't maintainable for us. How do we get around that ?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 24 Sep 2009 09:57

Be aware, according to our license agreement you may not distribute Devart assemblies as a part of another libraries ("wrappers"), components, or frameworks. It means you can create and distribute a wrapper only in the case if this wrapper is a part of your application, and it can be used only by your application. Other programmers may not develop any applications, which use or are based on the Devart assemblies explicitly or implicitly without obtaining an appropriate license from Devart. An exception to the rule: this DLL can be used only inside your company by the developers who are working on this project too.

glose

Post by glose » Thu 24 Sep 2009 17:29

Hopefully a misunderstanding -

I produce an API for integrating with my product. Part of that API uses DevArt to access our data. In no way is it a generalized Postgresql access. This API is only available with our licensed product and requires our product to run.

The other company has purchased a copy of DevArt for the Exe - has added in my assembly to access my db - I do not want them going directly to the database for any number of obvious reasons. Even with their license and my assembly they receiving licensing errors.

I can't be the only company that produces an integration API for their product.

I'm fine with having all of our integrators (hundreds) purchase dev art licenses when needed.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 28 Sep 2009 13:14

Our license validator looks for the valid license in the following way:
*.exe -> FirstCalledClassLibrary.dll -> ... -> LastCalledClassLibrary.dll.
The valid license for *.exe has to be present at any level of this chain: either build in *.exe (licenses.licx), or added to one of the used class libraries (licenses.licx + licenses.config with the name of *.exe). So, we recommend your "integrators" to embed the Devart license to their *.exe - to add licenses.licx and recompile the project ( http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgr ... tml#manual ).

glose

follow up

Post by glose » Mon 28 Sep 2009 18:52

Well that seems to be the issue - they have embedded their license in their exe and they still receive an error. They sent the entire project to DevArt support who then said to use my assembly I have to add and exe reference for their project into my assembly.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 29 Sep 2009 12:03

We have answered your client by e-mail.