Problem update character varaying ... concurency violation

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
CNPSV

Problem update character varaying ... concurency violation

Post by CNPSV » Thu 16 Jul 2009 07:04

Hi again,and sorry for disturb :D
We have a BIG problem...and one LITTLE problem :)
i specify that the PostgreSQL server is 8.25 and devart conector 4.50.33

the problem is that the conector read '' from characater varayin like NULL
and then don't write nothing in a textbox, the conector put '' in the database not NULL

PS question?
when you will release a connector compatible with Postgresql 8.4 ? :D

/* one little problem is with public word when i try to reconfigure datatable
* to work is necesary to remove public word when i add the datatable
* i specify that i add the dataset like this: Tools-Postgresql-DataSet Wizard with the unchecked Use provider specific code generator ....
* Now,it's not working when i try to reconfigure....
* to work is necesary to delete and add again the table into dataset but this time,you must to delete all the public word form configure datatable
* describe of the second BIG problem
* Error : Concurency violation ...
* The problem is with character varaying that allows NULL
* First step:
* Add new row id_test =1,name='b' -this is ok
* Second step:
* modify name: i remove all the characthers from the name column,the result is that in the database the name column
* will have the value '' -ok until here :D
* Third step:
* Modify again column name: i try to put a text value that 'b' again...and push the update buton...and
* SURPRISE ... concurency violation.... :D
* if i remove '' from database and put NULL,then works :)
* Thanks for the resolved problem with Timeout :D in the new release, and hope this problems(special second problem)
* will be resolved very soon, like how you did last time with the conection timeout problem :)
*/

CNPSV

Post by CNPSV » Thu 16 Jul 2009 09:09

i think the easy solution is to make the textbox.text that does't have any character (length=0) to be treaty like NULL even if is INSERT OR UPDATE, and this help the situation when column ALLOW NULL IS FALSE,because then, the textbox.text cannot be empty, and with this connector, in this case when textbox is empty,on the update,he puts it the database '' and i thing this is a mistake

Riaan van der Westhuizen

Driver returns empty varchar fields as null

Post by Riaan van der Westhuizen » Fri 17 Jul 2009 09:44

I think what CNPSV was trying to say is that the driver returns any empty ('') varchar field as null. I have send a test case already and are hoping that this will be resolve quickly.

CNPSV

Post by CNPSV » Fri 17 Jul 2009 11:28

same problem is for numeric datatypes, then i try to put numericTextBox.text='' (nothing) and the column afferend for textbox is integer and ALLOW NULL, the connector doesn't work, don't allow me to leave the textbox,and so on the update to putt NULL in the database.
we also home the problem to be resolved very soon because we are a software team that work at one big software,and we canno't develop any more this software. we can't make any publish with this problem...so we must to wait for the solutions,so the ours clients...and they are not verry happy :D

CNPSV

Post by CNPSV » Wed 22 Jul 2009 06:31

they reproduced the problem
hope for a solution and a new publish very soon, because we canno't make a update at our software until this bug is fixed
:D

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Mon 27 Jul 2009 07:05

Thank you for the bug report. The problem is fixed. Look forward to the next build of dotConnect for PostgreSQL.
We plan to make the new build during two weeks. I will post here when it is available.

CNPSV

Post by CNPSV » Mon 27 Jul 2009 09:15

thanks a lot
we are waiting for the new release....like childrens Santa
we really needed it

CNPSV

Post by CNPSV » Wed 05 Aug 2009 05:21

any ideea when the new publish will be avilable?
we wait for the update,to can make publsih at our software

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 06 Aug 2009 12:41

New build is available.

CNPSV

Post by CNPSV » Thu 06 Aug 2009 13:00

thanks
now we test the new publish ;)