query builder?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
kaneshka

query builder?

Post by kaneshka » Tue 20 Jan 2009 20:33

Hi,

I have to build a reportgenerator application in Visual studio 2005 and postgresql. for that i need a querybuilder. Can i use dotConnect for PosgreSQL for this purpose?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 21 Jan 2009 09:52

You can use dotConnect for PostgreSQL for these purposes in Crystal Report projects and in Reporting Services of Business Intelligent Solutions.

We have a sample that demonstrates how to use the Crystal Report technology (\Program Files\Devart\dotConnect\PostgreSQL\Samples\General).
Reporting Services is not fully supported now - there is a possibility to type your query in Query Designer manually only. It is not allowed to prepare the query by selecting the needed tables and their columns graphically. We will add this functionality in the nearest future.

Please try using Trial Edition (free use during 30 days) of dotConnect for PostgreSQL to find out if it suits your needs: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgr ... nload.html

kaneshka

Post by kaneshka » Wed 21 Jan 2009 11:44

Hello,

When not using the crystal report services of dotConnect, can i use dotConnect as querybuilder for my applications? not by typing the query, bud graphically?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 21 Jan 2009 12:47

Please create a new connection to PostgreSQL database in Server Explorer using dotConnect for PostgreSQL (Professional Trial Edition is here: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgr ... nload.html), add DataSet to your project, open this DataSet in the DataSet Designer. Drag and drop any table from Sever Explorer on the DataSet Designer surface, right click on the created TableAdapter | Add Query. As a result, TableAdapter Query Configuration Wizard will start . In the third step of this wizard the Specify a SELECT statement window will appear, there will be the Query Builder button. Please press it.

Do you mean this Query Builder? If not, please specify exactly what you need.

kaneshka

Post by kaneshka » Wed 21 Jan 2009 15:29

Hi Sharlex,

THanks for reply.
I need a .net querybuilder control for this purose:
- i want to give the user a GUI where he/she can select the tables and columns from the database. Then the query will be generated automatically ofter the user is done with the selection.
- I have to be able to get this automatically generated sql query for the next purpose of my application. That's all, just like 'active querybuilder .net edition'. Only this one is very advanced and expensive for my needs.
Now, can dotConnect do this for me?
Thanks a lot.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 21 Jan 2009 17:13

dotConnect for PostgreSQL doesn't have this functionality.