Help Generating EDMX

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
mdb

Help Generating EDMX

Post by mdb » Thu 16 Oct 2008 14:00

I am evaluating PostgreSQLDirect.NET and am having problems generating the initial edmx model. The problem is the process hangs for at least 24 hours, whether I use EdmGen(2) from the command line, or use the Visual Studio tool.

On the server side, the PgAdmin logs show a query that looks like this being executed:

Select "Project6"."C11" AS "C1", "Projects6"."CatalogName", "Projects6"."SchemaName", etc... being executed.

Going with the theory that the database was overloaded, or the amount of data in the database was affecting the efficiency, I exported the schema only using pg_dump, and loaded it into a freshly installed copy of PostgreSql 8.3 on my local machine. However, even with an empty, unused database, the process was still taking just as long, with no results.

As I've read there are issues with how efficient the entity framework's mapping tools (EdmGen, EdmGen2) are when mapping large numbers of tables, I attempted to map just a single table, with the exact same results; no results written, no progress made whatsoever.

There is no way I can provide the schema to support or publicly, but given that I have the schema, is there anyway to generate the edmx directly from the schema definition file, without interrogating the database and reverse engineering it?

Does anyone have any insight or ideas as to how to get around this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 28 Oct 2008 18:03

Sorry for the delay. We cannot reproduce this issue on any of our test servers.
  • There is no tool that can generate an EDMX from a SQL file.
  • Did you try checking if the problem persists on other versions of PostgreSQL? Please specify the exact version of your PostgreSQL server (x.x.x). What is the third number?

mdb

Post by mdb » Fri 14 Nov 2008 13:48

In case anyone else runs into this problem, the new dotConnect 4.0 release maps my database just fine in just a few minutes! Problem solved!