MEMBERSHIP SCHEMA

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
JORGEMAL

MEMBERSHIP SCHEMA

Post by JORGEMAL » Fri 04 Jul 2008 14:32

I see that PostgreSQLDirect.NET includes the membership provider which means that I can control the management of users and roles in an ASP.NET application but firstly I need to prepare the database schema in the App_Data folder of my project.

If I use Microsoft SQL Server (sqlMembershipProvider) such preparation is accomplished by a tool named "aspnet_regsql.exe" which creates the necessary tables, views and stored procedures.

In my case, I am using PostgreSQL. Does PostgreSQLDirect.NET has a tool like this to prepare the database schema?

I downloaded (and directly opened) the HTML Help Documentation but I cannot see anything only a message that says the information cannot be shown.

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado

SecureGen
Devart Team

Post by SecureGen » Mon 07 Jul 2008 12:29

No, we do not have a tool that creates the necessary tables, views and stored procedures.
Before using ASP.NET providers you have to run the script InstallWebTables.sql against database you wish to use. The script can be found in folder \Program Files\CoreLab\PostgreSQLDirect.NET\.

JORGEMAL

Post by JORGEMAL » Thu 10 Jul 2008 21:46

SecureGen wrote:No, we do not have a tool that creates the necessary tables, views and stored procedures.
Before using ASP.NET providers you have to run the script InstallWebTables.sql against database you wish to use. The script can be found in folder \Program Files\CoreLab\PostgreSQLDirect.NET\.
What does InstallWebTables.sql do?
Does all this mean that I have to prepare the database for membership support all by my self?

Also, I only see the control PgSqlDataSource in my Visual Studio 2005 toolbox. Is this fine?
In devart's web page descripction of the product I see other controls like PgSqlConnection and many more. I am evaluating PostgreSQLDirect.NET.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Mon 14 Jul 2008 14:21

Hello, Jorge.

The execution of InstallWebTables.sql script on the specified database prepares this database for using Web providers(MembershipProvider, RoleProvider).

The rest of controls (PgSqlConnection, PgSqlDataTable and so) on are available in Windows Forms Applications.

Regards, Andrey.