Heavy problems starting (Beginner)

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
Darth Pincho

Heavy problems starting (Beginner)

Post by Darth Pincho » Mon 02 Jun 2008 23:53

Hi, i have experience using OO programing and visual studio. But i spent 2 days trying to figure it out how to use this controls and i give up. I need some help.

Im starting a project using visual basic .net 2005 and postgreSQL. Ive installed PostgreSQLDirect .NET succesfully and everything is running fine.

1.- In my solution first form i have a login panel. Where the user have to imput login and password for start the solution. Ok. I need to do a simple query to the database in order to verify the login and password and im not able to figure out wich control is needed. Im pretty confused with all the controls here.

Can anyone give to me a simple explanation of how i can execute the query and the compare the values with the textboxes in my form?

Darth Pincho

Post by Darth Pincho » Tue 03 Jun 2008 01:36

Wel after trying a lot. I do this:

Code: Select all

Private Sub Login_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        Dim dataReader As PgSqlDataReader = Nothing
        Me.PgSqlConnection1.Open() 
        dataReader = Me.PgSqlCommand1.ExecuteReader
        If (dataReader.FieldCount > 0) Then
            dataReader.Read()
            Me.TextBoxUsername.Text = dataReader.GetValue(0)
        Else
            Me.TextBoxUsername.Text = "NO DATA"
        End If
        dataReader.Close()

End Sub
When i press the play button under visual studio i get the app runing and shows the data in the desired texbox, great.

BUT in the lower part of the screen (inmediate window of visual studio 2005) i get some messages like:
A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in System.Data.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in System.Data.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in CoreLab.Data.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in CoreLab.Data.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in CoreLab.PostgreSql.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Why this messages?

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Tue 03 Jun 2008 08:26

Hello,

First of all please take some time and look through product samples.
You can find them in Start menu: “Core Lab PostgreSQLDirect for .NET2” -> Samples.
If I'm correct you you are building a Web application, thus I suggesting to see the Web samples first.
Next, you probably would like to use ASP.NET features like memberships, roles, profiles, etc.
It's really easy with PostgreSQLDirect .NET. You will find an example in the Web folder.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Alexey.

Darth Pincho

Post by Darth Pincho » Sat 07 Jun 2008 19:42

Hi, well i solve the problem. It is a visual studio problem. This error messages are some type of log and does not reflect if there exist some errors in the present execution of the software.

Supose you run VS and get one error, later no matter if you fix the error this messages will appears until you restarts visual studio.

Im developing a visual basic .NET app. Not using ASP at all.

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Mon 09 Jun 2008 07:17

Hello,

Could you please provide a step-by-step instructions to reproduce the error?

Regards,
Alexey.