First meeting with PostgreSQLDirect .NET - remarks

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
mpyszka

Post by mpyszka » Sun 10 Feb 2008 21:10

Hello,
I installed trial version of Mobile PostgreSQLDirect .NET on Visual Studio 2008. I have the following remarks:

1. there is a small bug in setup program as it requires devenv to be on the system path, after installing VS 2008 it wasn't, so setup failed with message devenv cennot create process. Adding path to devenv.exe to system path helped.
2. After installing PostgreSQLDirect.NET on Vista it's necessary to run VisualStudio 2008 as an administrator, otherwise one of Your packages fails to load.
3. What's the most important it's not possible to add Your components to toolbox, as they are grayed all the time in CF project. What is curious they are active in Your samples and if I initialize them manually in the code they become visible in a designer so I can set their properties on design.

Best regards,
Maciek

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Mon 11 Feb 2008 12:15

Thank you for bug reporting. We appreciate your help.
We will investigate the 1-st and 2-nd issues.
Concerning the 3-rd one, make sure you're in Component Designer view. Do not confuse with Designer view.
To switch between views use context menu of aspx file in Solution Explorer. This is for Web projects only.

mpyszka

Post by mpyszka » Mon 11 Feb 2008 21:56

Concerning the 3rd point, I'm working with Compact Framework project for Windows Forms, not ASP.NET.
But when I open Your samples these components are enabled and visible in Designer View, so my question is why not to enable them in VS 2008 Designer?
Of course, I can create them in runtime and it works.
If You don't assume these components to be enabled in DesignerView in Windows Forms tell me.

Best regards,

Maciej Pyszka

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Tue 12 Feb 2008 12:10

Could you please specify what IDE you use? What Compact Framework do you use?
We didn't encounter such problems with Visual Studio 2008 RTM (Smart Devices -> Device Application) and CF 2.0.

mpyszka

Post by mpyszka » Tue 12 Feb 2008 22:18

OK, my specification:

Visual Studio 2008 Professional Trial
.NET Framework 3.5
Smart Device
Windows Mobile 6 Device (I installed extra Windows Mobile 6 SDK)
CF 2.0 (I suspect)

What's more, in Your samples I can change target platform from Pocket PC 2003 to Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK I can still see Your components on Designer View and they are not grayed.
The problem is only when I create new project, then they are grayed.

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Wed 13 Feb 2008 13:21

We are investigating this problem.
Try creating a WinForms project for smart devices on the base of CF2.0
Do you still experience the problem?

mpyszka

Post by mpyszka » Thu 14 Feb 2008 19:37

I have found the reason, it depends only on the version of Compact Framework, if I create the project for CF 2.0 Your components are enabled.
Otherwise (CF 3.0, CF 3.5) they are grayed.

I hope it will help You improve that.

So far I create Your components completely in runtime and they seem to work perfectly, so I'm going to buy them as far as my trial period expres.

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Fri 15 Feb 2008 12:58

We are investigating the behaviour of our components in the
Visual Studio's Toolbox (using CF 3.0 and CF3.5).
We will fix this problem in the nearest time.
Thank you for the bug reporting.