Suitable for Web Apps

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL

Suitable for Web Apps

Post by Guest » Wed 04 May 2005 11:10

Hi,

Is this module designed and tested for web applications?

My applications break if two simultaneous requests are made that use the same PgSql Connection with a variety of exceptions such as "System.OutOfMemory".

To get around it I tried creating a new conenction everytime I needed to use the database, which is obviously extremely inefficient unless there are some optimisations within the module, but then I get "Too many connections for non Super User".

I end up having to restart my web app about 10 times a day to be able to get any use out of it.

Aaron

Oleg
Devart Team

Post by Oleg » Thu 05 May 2005 13:47

Where exactly do you get the "Out Of Memory" error message, on the client or on your PostgreSQL Server?

Post by Guest » Thu 05 May 2005 19:17

On the web server. The Postgresql database is on a separate database server. The client is a broswer

Aaron

Oleg
Devart Team

Post by Oleg » Fri 06 May 2005 11:49

What I am interested at is whether error class is OutOfMemoryException or PgSqlException.

Post by Guest » Sat 07 May 2005 18:00

OutOfMemory

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Thu 12 May 2005 09:21

Send us please small demo project to demonstrate the problem and include script to create server objects.

markd89

Is this resolved?

Post by markd89 » Sat 28 May 2005 23:51

We are considering using this for a web app, but I'd like to know this issue is resolved before moving ahead/buying. Could you please advise of status?

Thanks
Mark

Post by Guest » Sun 29 May 2005 22:37

I was getting an exception everytime I had 2 pages that simultaneoulsy accessed the database. You'll need a page that does at least a 2 or 3 second database job to do this test to ensure you are getting simultaneous requests. A three table join with a couple of hundred rows was all I was doing.

If you can do this without generating an exception then either the problem I had has been fixed or it was something peculiar to my application.

Yuri

Suitable for Web Apps

Post by Yuri » Mon 30 May 2005 15:10

The problem you described does not concern PostgreSQL client tool. The exception you get is the server exception. You can test your program with another PostgreSQL provider.

Yuri

Re: Is this resolved?

Post by Yuri » Mon 30 May 2005 15:16

markd89 wrote:We are considering using this for a web app, but I'd like to know this issue is resolved before moving ahead/buying. Could you please advise of status?
We fixed the problem with memory leak in the new build of PostgreSQLDirect .NET build. It's available to download now.