VS2008 and ADO.NET entities

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
sumpan

VS2008 and ADO.NET entities

Post by sumpan » Thu 17 Jan 2008 15:40

I would like to try out ADO.Net entities with postgresql so I downloaded PostgresSQLDirect.NET.

In Visual Studio 2008 server explorer I can find and connect to my postgresql database. I can also create a dataset based on a postgresql database table.

However, when adding a "ADO .Net Entity data model" to the project, and selecting "generate from database" it is not possible to choose the postgresql server. I only get MS SQL Server Express in the dropdowns.

Is this functionality that should work in PostgreSQLDirect 3.30?

If so, how can I make it work?

I know that my questions are very vauge, but please have patience, I am new to both PostgreSQL and ADO.Net entities.

Edit: ok, I found the c:\program files\CoreLab\PostgreSQLDirect.NET2\Entity directory, perhaps I can find the information I need here? If this is what I am looking for, please ignore my post.

Edit2: the wizard in the Entity sub directory fails with the following error message when generating model:

Value can not be null.
Parameter name: storeEntityContainer

Generator warnings:
Error code: 6003
Severity: Error
Message: the specified key does not exist in the dictionary.

I might have got some of the text wrong when I translated error messages spelled out in swedish. Is the wizard the way to go from here?

Alexey.mdr

Post by Alexey.mdr » Fri 18 Jan 2008 11:16

Did you make the steps described in Readme.html from \Program Files\CoreLab\PostgreSQLDirect.NET2\Entity\ ?
Did you try to run the provided samples?

We cannot reproduce the error.
Please send me a small test project to reproduce the problem.
It is desirable to use 'test' schema objects, otherwise include the
definition of your own database objects.
Do not use third party components.
If it is impossible for you to create the test project, send us a piece of
your code where the error occurs.