Issues using pgSQLDump

Postby leeottaway » Thu 10 Jan 2008 18:06

OK, I'm nearly there. The only way around my issues was to create a database manually, and then first drop the schema which is automatically created when you create a database before restoring the backup. This works perfectly except for one thing. There are no views. Surely the backup should include views in it?? If it doesn't and the database becomes corrupt, where do you get the views from? I've tried adding my views to the .Tables property of pgsqldump but of course it then creates them as tables rather than views!

Help......again.
leeottaway

Postby Alexey.mdr » Fri 11 Jan 2008 15:41

We have scheduled a new task to add this functionality to PostgreSQLDirect .NET.
We will try to implement “ExportAll” feature in the nearest future.
Alexey.mdr

Postby hmuscroft » Thu 24 Jan 2008 16:25

I just wanted to say that I too need this functionality ASAP. I am just in the middle of implementing Backup/Restore feature in my application and I need to be able to dump an ENTIRE database and then restore an entire database.

I actually upgraded to the Professional version of the CoreLab's PGSQL provider exactly because I needed the backup/restore (which wasn't available in your Standard version).

Please can you tell me how long it will take to implement this as it's a pretty urgent requirement for me? Many thanks.
hmuscroft

Postby Alexey.mdr » Fri 25 Jan 2008 11:10

We are working on this issue.
We will try to enable full dump of a Postgres database (tables, views, stored procedures...) in the next build.
Alexey.mdr

Postby hmuscroft » Fri 25 Jan 2008 13:07

Thanks for the quick reply Alexey. Please can I just ask : I notice that your dump procedure seems to be exporting raw SQL in which case how does it handle BLOB data?
hmuscroft

Postby Alexey.mdr » Fri 25 Jan 2008 14:23

Large objects are saved as binary blocks in backup files.
Alexey.mdr

Postby leeottaway » Sat 05 Apr 2008 12:52

Hi Alexey

It's been some months since this post regarding pgsqldump in which you stated that an ExportAll feature would be added to the next build. I know there have been builds since so has this been implemented yet?

Thanks
leeottaway

Postby Alexey.mdr » Mon 07 Apr 2008 09:00

Unfortunately, the implementation of this feature is deferred.
For the current moment no timeframe is available.
Sorry to claim this.
Alexey.mdr

Postby leeottaway » Sat 03 May 2008 07:46

Alexey

Something really needs to be done about the backup. We finally forced your backup to work (so we thought) by simply using it to backup the data only, then when we need to restore the data, we recreate the database and import the data. However to our horror we have found that even that doesn't work. We needed to get the data from one our customers and got them to do a backup. When we tried restoring it, it died with INSERT is trying to insert too many columns, or column boolean does not match column integer as well as other errors. We tested this against other customer databases and found that on virtually ALL large databases, the backup failed in different places with different errors and on different tables every time (probably related to carriage returns etc in the data). We are therefore in the precarious condition of having our customers thinking they have safe backups, but actually they have nothing useful which is completely disasterous.

Please can you do something with this as backup of the structure and data in a database is a fairly fundamental requirement.

Regards

Lee Ottaway
Fusion Software (UK) Ltd
leeottaway

Postby Alexey.mdr » Mon 05 May 2008 13:52

The problem needs an urgent solution.
Could you please localize the problem and send me (alexeyman*crlab*com) an SQL script for
tables definition? We will fix the bug as soon as possible.
Alexey.mdr

Previous

Return to dotConnect for PostgreSQL