Scheme problems in VS2005 data connection

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Thu 12 Jul 2007 13:59

oh, remember I'm a novice. Is this because when developing the application on my PC, I'm configuring what is called DNS less connection string?

My past experince has always been that I have to have the same ODBC drivers and DSN that is on my development PC also on the IIS server.

So I assumed I had to do the same here. Thanks for setting me straight.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Thu 12 Jul 2007 14:58

My IT manager tells me he ordered the prof version, but never received the licence Key. And he's out of the office today with limited email.

Can I download and install the prof version without that licence key or confirmation code?

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 12 Jul 2007 15:08

Can I download and install the prof version without that licence key or confirmation code?
The installation is the same in trial and professional version.
The difference only is that you will not receive nag messages when trial period is over.
Is this because when developing the application on my PC, I'm configuring what is called DNS less connection string?
In some cases you indeed need to install our provider on a server, but in common situation uploading our run-time assemblies (CoreLab.PostgreSql.dll and CoreLab.PostgreSql.Web.dll) onto the server is enough.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Thu 12 Jul 2007 15:18

ok, thanks!

that does lead to a good question. After I get the development site ready to move to production IIS, will the COPY Web site option in VS be enough, or do I need to use the publish option? I'm not sure how to verify if the runtime dll's get copied to production site correctly?

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 12 Jul 2007 15:38

You can just copy all the files manually. Our run-time assemblies should be placed in the Bin folder of the site.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Thu 12 Jul 2007 15:55

ok, winding down my questions. :)

is the correct download this? PostgreSQLDirect .NET version 3.00 for .NET Framework 2.0

I'm prone to stay away from betas, unless you recommend the 3.20 beta.

Also, trying to uninstall (remove) the trial version and getting the following error: Runtime error, cannot open file: c:\documents and settings\thirt\application data\corelab\postgresSQLDirect.net2\WizmodernSmallImage.bmp

Checked and that path doesn't exist. There is no corelab folder. Here's the actual path: C:\Documents and Settings\thirt\Application Data\postgresql

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 12 Jul 2007 16:21

is the correct download this? PostgreSQLDirect .NET version 3.00 for .NET Framework 2.0
I'm prone to stay away from betas, unless you recommend the 3.20 beta.
Yes, this is correct version. But we are going to release beta next week. So you will be able to use it soon.
Also, trying to uninstall (remove) the trial version and getting the following error: Runtime error, cannot open file: c:\documents and settings\thirt\application data\corelab\postgresSQLDirect.net2\WizmodernSmallImage.bmp
This is sporadic problem. I've encountered something like that with another our provider. It is not critical - right? Anyway, we will try to eliminate it.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Thu 12 Jul 2007 16:28

So I can use the beta or are you saying wait till next week to use the new release?

You ask if the error to remove the trial version is critical. Please understand this error prevents me from removing the trial version. And according to directions, and to your notes above to fix my code generation problem, I need to remove the trial before installing the prof version. So should I place a mock bmp in that folder location to let the un-install program work?

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 12 Jul 2007 16:44

So I can use the beta or are you saying wait till next week to use the new release?
This is up to you. For now beta is not stable enough, of course. So I suggest you waiting a bit.
You ask if the error to remove the trial version is critical. Please understand this error prevents me from removing the trial version. And according to directions, and to your notes above to fix my code generation problem, I need to remove the trial before installing the prof version. So should I place a mock bmp in that folder location to let the un-install program work?
I didn't think this error is critical. To remove PostgreSQLDirect .NET perform the following steps:
  • Stop Windows Installer service;
  • Delete key in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products that corresponds to PostgreSQLDirect .NET;
  • Delete key in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Assemblies that corresponds to CoreLab.PostgreSql.dll;
  • Remove all CoreLab.* assemblies from GAC and from "%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\CoreLab\Data Providers\" folder;
  • Stop IIS service if you install Web demos virtual directories;
  • Remove %ProgramFiles%\CoreLab\PostgreSQLDirect.NET folder.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Thu 12 Jul 2007 17:14

Thanks for the great support. Glad I went with Corelab.

Before getting your last message, it hit me that the IT group installed this driver for me, since they have local admin rights on my PC. So I had them log in as local admin and strangley enough, same error.

So I think I have the root of this problem for you. You need to account for organizations that assign a domain user login name with local admin rights. When they install the driver under their account name (ie ITteam), the corelab folder actually gets placed under the Admininstrator path.
Uninstall is looking for it here:
c:\documents and settings\ITteam\application data\corelab\postgresSQLDirect.net2\WizmodernSmallImage.bmp
But the file actually exist here:
c:\documents and settings\Administrator\application data\corelab\postgresSQLDirect.net2\WizmodernSmallImage.bmp

So we copied the folder and file "corelab\postgresSQLDirect.net2\WizmodernSmallImage.bmp" to the ITteam profile and the uninstall worked.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Thu 12 Jul 2007 18:29

I'm confused. When I download from the above link we talked about, and attempt to install, it tells me it's installing the trial version.

Are you sure I don't need to download from the Order page?

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 13 Jul 2007 09:03

The beta has trialness because we haven't released it yet. Once it is released, it will become available from the registered users area.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Fri 13 Jul 2007 12:44

ok, I'll worry about the Beta later.

But how do I install the current Prof version, not the trial version? Is there a special link in the ordering process? After we order it, do we get an email with a Download link?

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 13 Jul 2007 14:22

After we order it, do we get an email with a Download link?
Yep! You will get a registration letter with the link.

tomhirt

Post by tomhirt » Fri 13 Jul 2007 15:28

ok, now it all makes sense. My IT manager just forwarded the email link to me and I was able to DL and install the Prof version.

I noticed it took VS2005 a long time to load, but my existing data connections in the server explorer still work.

However I do get the following debug error:
Error 1 Could not load file or assembly 'CoreLab.PostgreSql.Web, Version=3.20.11.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. C:\Documents and Settings\thirt\Personal\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\funnelreport\web.config 38

Appears there is a refernce to the beta trial 3.20. any way to update this to look at the full prof version?