Update notification not working with Delphi 7

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding UniDAC (Universal Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
Aldwado

Update notification not working with Delphi 7

Post by Aldwado » Mon 09 Jan 2017 06:16

Hi,
Whenever I open Delphi and there is an update to my UniDac components, I always got a dialog informing me of this.
Lately however this does not happen. If I open the Unidac menu in Delphi and select Check Updates.., I am told that Updates Checking is unavailable.
I have turned off the firewall to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't.

My other machine has Delphi XE7 and the update notification is working on that machine.

I have not changed or installed anything new. I am also not running the latest version, thus I was expecting an Update dialog message.

Thank you
Gavin Godfrey

MaximG
Devart Team

Re: Update notification not working with Delphi 7

Post by MaximG » Tue 10 Jan 2017 14:54

We've checked the mechanism of notification in UniDAC by the example of the previous version 6.4.15 and found no problems. Perhaps, the error is associated with the use of proxy in your environment. In this case, check the correctness of the proxy server settings you use.

Aldwado

Post by Aldwado » Wed 11 Jan 2017 04:44

Hi,
Thanks for that.
As far as I know, I don't use a proxy.
It was all working until early December or so.
When I go to UniDAC menu in Delphi and select Check Updates, what actually happens?
Does it run a program to check?
I really miss the updates notification as it allows me to check and see if any of the updates are relevant.
Another question on this is does my version of UniDAC have to be within a certain range for it to work?

Gavin

MaximG
Devart Team

Post by MaximG » Wed 11 Jan 2017 10:57

We have not changed the mechanism of checking the availability of new versions of our products for a long time. By clicking button «Check Updates», the version number of the product is compared to that available on our website at the moment. To do this, we use the HTTP-request that returns the number of the latest version of the desired product. The notification works for any version of UniDAC. Try reinstalling your version of UniDAC and check for updates again.

Aldwado

Post by Aldwado » Wed 11 Jan 2017 23:10

Hi,
Thanks for your help. I reinstalled Unidac and the problem is still there.
Last question. Is this updating effected by which browser versions you have installed
and any internet settings, eg, SSL, TSL.

Gavin

MaximG
Devart Team

Post by MaximG » Mon 16 Jan 2017 16:02

Mechanism of checking the availability of our products new versions does not depend on the used browser or SSL, TSL settings etc., as when determining an actual product version we form a regular HTTP-request.

Aldwado

Post by Aldwado » Tue 17 Jan 2017 00:08

Hi,
Thanks for your help and all the information.
It must be something with this computer.

Gavin

MaximG
Devart Team

Post by MaximG » Tue 17 Jan 2017 15:14

We hope that you will be able to find a solution. In any case, we will always provide you necessary support when using our products