Problem when Oracle client is older than server

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding UniDAC (Universal Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
roznicki

Problem when Oracle client is older than server

Post by roznicki » Thu 17 Jun 2010 07:04

I have a problem that ends with total crash of my application (TUniError with access violation and closing all application forms). It happens when I connect to Oracle server 10.2.x with client 9.2.x. Ufortunately problem is'n easy to solve because I can't prepare script for You to check it out. Crash happens after some work with application (over 500 queries) in strange places (during Open method of TUniQuery).

bork
Devart Team

Post by bork » Fri 18 Jun 2010 12:29

Hello

The problem that you described can occur because of different reasons:
- Oracle client files can be damaged
- Oracle server HDD can be damaged
- Not enough space or memory on the server HDD
- Maybe you create some Oracle objects (for example TOraBlob, TOraCursor) and destroy them incorrectly. In this case memory can be freed incorrectly and you can get unpredictable crashes.

To resolve this issue we need to know all steps to that result in the error exactly.

roznicki

Problem with Oracle client

Post by roznicki » Fri 18 Jun 2010 13:24

I have checked many possibilities on 3 computers and only changing client version is solving this problem. Even Oracle Instant Client in proper version (>than server version) is working ok. This must by connected with Oracle Client API and incompatibilities with server. Maybe UNIDAC is using some metchods from client API that aren't supported (or badly supported) by Oracle server. Application was migrated from BDE and BDE is using only old Oracle7 API (so there is no problem).
I will try to prepare test case for You but it is tough task...

bork
Devart Team

Post by bork » Mon 21 Jun 2010 15:14

OK, we will wait for your test case.