How do I properly install in Delphi 7?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for InterBase & Firebird in Delphi and C++Builder
RedOctober

How do I properly install in Delphi 7?

Post by RedOctober » Sun 24 Apr 2011 20:05

I have purchased the dbExpress driver for Interbase/Firebird. I downloaded a file called: dbxida.exe (Version is 2.70.28)

I closed my Delphi 7 (I did not remove any of the existing dbExpress components or packages)

Then I ran the dbxida.exe which I suppose installed your product. Is this the correct way to install in D7? In my existing projects that use dbExpress components from the original D7 installation, I guess I'm supposed to keep using those, just change the DriverName property to DevArtInterbase (which is now an option in the drop down list). (I assume that I will then need to deploy a different DLL when the time comes for me to put my project onto my customer's server)

One new component was installed: CRSQLConnection. Is this meant to be a replacement for the SQLConnection component that originally came with D7?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Tue 26 Apr 2011 09:01

Hello,

To properly install dbExpress driver for InterBase, you should perform the following steps:
- close Delphi 7;
- uninstall the current version of dbExpress driver for InterBase (if any). You can do this using the Windows standard Add or Remove Programs tool (Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs);
- install the new version of dbExpress driver for InterBase (the name of the licensed version installation file is dbxida270.exe, and of the trial version - dbxida.exe);

To use our dbExpress driver for InterBase, you should set the following options:

Code: Select all

SQLConnection.ConnectionName := 'Devart InterBase';
SQLConnection.DriverName := 'DevartInterBase';
SQLConnection.GetDriverFunc := 'getSQLDriverInterBase';
SQLConnection.LibraryName := 'dbexpida.dll';
You should deploy the dbexpida.dll library with your project.

The TCRSQLConnection component is needed to overcome restrictions of dbExpress on Delphi versions earlier than RAD Studio 2007. Because you are working with Delphi 7, we suggest you to use the TCRSQLConnection component to simplify working with extended driver options. You can find more information about the TCRSQLConnection component in the dbExpress driver for InterBase documentation (Readme.html).

RedOctober

Install did not work

Post by RedOctober » Wed 27 Apr 2011 13:25

Following your instructions, I used Control Panel->Add Remove Programs to "Change" the D7 install, and I uninstalled the listing for dbExpress, and finished the change.

I then tried to open D7 and it complained that the dbExpress package (#70) could not be loaded, I continued responding that I wanted Delphi to try to load this package next time, and kept clicking thru until D7 started, then I did a "Install Packages" and did a "remove" on the existing dbExpress package. I then closed Delphi.

Then I ran the new 270 Install. The result is that I cannot find any dbExpress components on my D7 pallete, and it's still complaining that it can't find the dbExpress (70) components.

What have I done wrong, and/or what steps have I missed? Is there a package somewhere that I have to compile?

RedOctober

D7 Installation

Post by RedOctober » Wed 27 Apr 2011 13:56

It seems that the dbxida270.exe I purchased from you only installs one component... and that is the CRSQLConnection. (Even on a D7 with the original dbExpress components/packages removed) It doesn't install the components:
TSQLQuery, TSQLTable, TSQLStoredProcedure, etc. that come with the original install of D7. Was I supposed to remove those? Is the dbxida270.exe supposed to install replacments for these, or just add the CRSQLConnection component to my dbExpress tab.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Thu 28 Apr 2011 08:11

To remove our driver, you should perform the following steps:
- close Delphi 7;
- open Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs;
- find "Devart dbExpress driver for InterBase" in the list and remove it using the Remove button.
You shouldn't do any changes in the Delphi 7 installation. Please restore standard dbExpress components.
Our dbExpress driver installs only the TCRSQLConnection component. You shouldn't remove standard dbExpress components, because you will use them to work with our driver. Using our dbExpress drivers is similar to using standard dbExpress drivers supplied by Borland. The only thing you should do to use our driver instead of the standard driver is to use the options I described in the previous post.

RedOctober

Excellent. That clears up my confusion.

Post by RedOctober » Thu 28 Apr 2011 13:17

Thanks AndreyZ