Set Parameter to Null Workaround

Set Parameter to Null Workaround

Postby jrodenhi » Tue 23 Feb 2010 21:47

The instructions in the Delphi 2006 help say:

Whenever a value is assigned to the TParam object, Bound is automatically set to true. Set Bound to false to undo the setting of a value. The Clear method replaces the value of the parameter with NULL, but does not set Bound to false. However, if the Clear method is used to bind the parameter to a NULL value, Bound must be separately set to true.

Following those instructions, if you want to set an integer variable to Null, you should be able to do something like this:
Code: Select all
    FQuery.ParamByName('hRec').Clear;
    FQuery.ParamByName('hRec').Bound := True;

When I do that using my DevArt DBXpress driver for Interbase, I get an error message that says "No value for parameter 'hRec'." I have been able to get my query to work using this workaround code:
    FQuery.ParamByName('hRec').AsInteger := 0;

I included this workaround for anyone else it might help but it would be helpful if the code like the Delphi help states.

I really appreciate having your driver just the same. Thanks for all your work.

Jack
jrodenhi

Postby Dimon » Wed 24 Feb 2010 11:29

To solve the problem you should set DataType of parameters before opening a query.
FQuery.ParamByName('hRec').DataType := ftInteger;
Dimon
Devart Team

Postby jrodenhi » Thu 25 Feb 2010 01:29

Okay. That will work. It does not seem to match the Delphi help for TParam.DataType, though.
Description
DataType is set automatically when a value is assigned to the parameter. Do not set DataType for bound fields, as that may cause the assigned value to be misinterpreted.

Read DataType to discover the type of data that was assigned to the parameter. Each possible value of DataType corresponds to a type of database field.

What I did works and what you suggested makes more sense than my approach. And this entry in the forum may help someone else out.

Jack
jrodenhi

Postby Dimon » Thu 25 Feb 2010 07:55

jrodenhi wrote:
DataType is set automatically when a value is assigned to the parameter.

But if you don't assign value, then you should set DataType.
Dimon
Devart Team

Postby jrodenhi » Thu 25 Feb 2010 16:12

Ok. I see. The Delphi help should really have said to set the datatype. So their suggestion should have been more like:
    FQuery.ParamByName('hRec').DataType := ftInteger;
    FQuery.ParamByName('hRec').Bound := True;

Thanks for your help and thanks for following up.

Jack
jrodenhi

Return to dbExpress driver for InterBase & Firebird