How do I get rid of Sakila?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
digiflex

How do I get rid of Sakila?

Post by digiflex » Mon 22 Jan 2018 20:57

The latest version has a prompt every time I exit asking whether I want to save changes to Sakila. I don't know what Sakila is, but I have begun to hate it. The only way to avoid the prompt at exit is is to use the "close project" menu item and instead get the prompt while running the program. It's not possible to just start DBForge then close it without getting the unwanted dialog.

This isn't something I asked for, and it's really, really annoying. I can't shut down Windows without first shutting down DBForge and going through the stupid prompt. Blocking windows shutdown is very rude.

DBForge still puts dialogs up on monitors other than the one DBForge is using. You should buy each of your developers a second monitor. And at least one of your testers.

Also, the environment settings "at startup" drop-down doesn't have "just open the files I had open last time" as an option. That's the only one I care about.

While I'm complaining, taking away the auto-update feature and pretending that's a way to help customers diminishes your credibility even further. You've switched to a subscription model, we get that, but don't lie about it. You're punishing your existing users in the hope of converting some pirates into paying customers. Don't expect your customers to like being punished.

Sandy

Re: How do I get rid of Sakila?

Post by Sandy » Mon 22 Jan 2018 22:19

Had the same problem, just fixed it (also sent support the info)

If you are comfortable editing the Registry it's an easy fix.

Look for this key -
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Devart\dbForge Studio for MySQL\MRU Lists\Recent Projects

In it you may see a few entries, but the one that references SAKILA should be deleted. Make sure your not running dbForge at the time.

Again do so at your own risk, this worked for me.

HTH
Sandy

alexa

Post by alexa » Tue 23 Jan 2018 18:16

Please check that you have selected the option different from 'Load Last Opened Project' in the 'At startup' field which is in the 'Environment -> General' branch of the 'Options' window (select 'Tools -> Options...' from the main menu).

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Tue 23 Jan 2018 23:20

Thanks for the real fix Alexa!

I just set the option to 'Show Empty Environment' all my open editor return just fine and no issues with projects :)

Sandy

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 24 Jan 2018 08:14

Hello Sandy.

Thank you for the reply.

digiflex

Post by digiflex » Wed 24 Jan 2018 21:23

Starting with an empty environment is not a solution, it just replaces the shutdown problem with "now find and open 10 files every time you start DBForge". The bug where re-opening an SQL file often loses the connection association makes this quite fraught as each file has to be carefully checked after opening to make sure it's linked to the correct database.

Deleting the Sakila project from disk but leaving the option set to "reopen last project" seems to have solved the problem.

An explicit "open previous files" would be better.