Data Generator

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
Sandy

Data Generator

Post by Sandy » Mon 10 Apr 2017 16:24

Just trying the Data Generator tool and can't figure out how to do what I need. Not sure if it can, but here's what I'm trying to do -

Generate Data for a Table that has 2 foreign keys BUT I don't want to truncate and generate those tables. I would like to have the Data Generator used the existing tables (data) to populate the FK fields in the new generated data.

Hope that make sense, and is their some way to do that?

Thanks

Sandy

Sandy

Re: Data Generator

Post by Sandy » Mon 10 Apr 2017 16:40

As a follow up I found that you can populate a field with a SQL query but the Data Generator crashes on generation (Exception report sent)

Simple Query Used
select id from make order BY rand() limit 1;
Similar query for the other FK's

Sandy

alexa

Post by alexa » Tue 11 Apr 2017 11:20

Just trying the Data Generator tool and can't figure out how to do what I need. Not sure if it can, but here's what I'm trying to do -
Generate Data for a Table that has 2 foreign keys BUT I don't want to truncate and generate those tables. I would like to have the Data Generator used the existing tables (data) to populate the FK fields in the new generated data.
Hope that make sense, and is their some way to do that?
In order not to truncate the related tables, you have to set the focus on the table names and unselect the option 'Truncate data from table before generation' in the table generation settings.
As a follow up I found that you can populate a field with a SQL query but the Data Generator crashes on generation (Exception report sent)
Simple Query Used
select id from make order BY rand() limit 1;
Similar query for the other FK's
We are aware of this issue and will fix it in one of the next product builds. We will notify you once it's available for downloading.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Tue 11 Apr 2017 15:29

Thanks, I did figure out how to force it to not truncate the table but due to the crash I was unable to get any further.

Look forward to the fix so I can try it out.

Sandy