using edit table interface to create unique index changes NULL column definition

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
brent.gee

using edit table interface to create unique index changes NULL column definition

Post by brent.gee » Tue 04 Oct 2016 15:52

I tried to create a unique index on a column that has a lot of nulls using the Edit Table interface and clicking update database. Unbeknownst to me this altered the column definition to use NOT NULL on the column I created the index on similar to:

ALTER TABLE x CHANGE COLUMN column_name column_name VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL;

This broke other functionality on our database application when this occurred and has caused an issue with the customer.

Is this standard for dbForge as I should be able to create a unique index on a field with nulls. If standard operation, can I set it to not do that in the option somewhere?

alexa

Re: using edit table interface to create unique index changes NULL column definition

Post by alexa » Wed 05 Oct 2016 14:29

We will fix this issue in the next product build and will notify you once it's available for downloading.

brent.gee

Re: using edit table interface to create unique index changes NULL column definition

Post by brent.gee » Thu 06 Oct 2016 15:59

thanks. looking forward to it.

alexa

Post by alexa » Thu 10 Nov 2016 16:08

We would like to let you know that we have released dbForge Studio for MySQL, v7.2 where the issue you reported is fixed https://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/st ... nload.html

Thank you for your help in improving dbForge Studio for MySQL.