PLEASE ADD THIS! Save Wizard Queries as SQL files!

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
Thunderpoet

PLEASE ADD THIS! Save Wizard Queries as SQL files!

Post by Thunderpoet » Thu 09 Feb 2017 10:50

I have asked about this, to me, very LOGICAL Inclusion to DB Forge Studio for mySQL:

Once I have used the Data Import Wizard to pull something like a CSV file into a mySQL table, and particularly when it required using the Wizard to manually select how the Mapping was to be set up between Column Names in the Source CSV versus the Target table

THEN

SHOW the Dang Query!

Let me SEE the Query it is going to Use after I have specified, APPEND or blah blah.. Conditions!

Even let me Alter the Import Query the Wizard thinks is correct to what I KNOW is Correct!

For my money into this program let me have CONTROL over the Final "Guessings" of the Wizard's Import Query.

And Automatically, By Default, SAVE the literal Query the Wizard applied after it reports success or failure.

This is, for me, absolutely essential for a PRO tool.

It would, also of course, help me tremendously to Analyze both a Successful Import and an Unsuccessful import.

Especially because quite a few of the Wizard Queries I have worked with over the past 3 years have some sort of "bug" under the hood that prevents execution of Queries that ought to work provided devart correctly applied the Wizard settings.

It is just crazy to simply report a failure with no code to read that I could manually alter for another try.
And when the Import goes Correctly 87% of the time then let me see a Good Query in all its Glory!

AT ANY RATE it would be really time-saving to be able to see the Wizard prepared Import or Export Queries either before or after execution as full SQL text in files.

Thank you for your kind consideration in Expanding the Query Wizard Import Data Controls to Show the Prepared Query Before Execution, to allow it to be Edited if need be, and the Default Option to always save the Queries as SQL files just as with any other Query created inside Studio Forge!

alexa

Re: PLEASE ADD THIS! Save Wizard Queries as SQL files!

Post by alexa » Thu 09 Feb 2017 14:45

We will implement the ability to view the data import script in the next version of dbForge Studio for MySQL. Just like it's already done in another our product dbForge Studio for SQL Server https://www.devart.com/dbforge/sql/studio/download.html

In the new version, there will be the 'Output' page added, where you can select the 'Open the data import script in the internal editor' option:

This will lead to the following:

Thunderpoet

Post by Thunderpoet » Thu 18 May 2017 11:51

FANTASTIC Response!
Definitely needed for daily work
Especially to trouble-shoot errors on "why didn't it work this time?" issues

Thanks so much!

Thunderpoet

STILL NO IMPROVEMENT in Studio for MySQL

Post by Thunderpoet » Fri 19 May 2017 10:05

Despite the promise in February to put in this Wizard Import Script Edit View as in Studio for SQL into "the next version" it is not done!

I am Trialing the latest Professional Edition Version 7.2.63 of Studio for MySQL and this feature you provide screenshots for is NOT in this latest MySQL version.

As in the previous versions in Data Import there is simply a "Log Settings" -- Write a report to a log file

Devart has still not put the feature into Professional Edition Version 7.2.63 of Studio for MySQL

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 22 May 2017 12:50

Unfortunately, we are still working on this feature.