Retrieved data shows mangled characters

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
DaveX64

Retrieved data shows mangled characters

Post by DaveX64 » Tue 06 Dec 2016 01:28

Hello DBForge People,

When I go 'Retrieve Data' on a table with DBForge Studio for MySQL, I get mangled characters in the view of the data.

Something that should look like this:

(MTI) Mi’gmawe’l Tplu’taqnn Incorporated

...actually looks like this:

(MTI) Mi’gmawe’l Tplu’taqnn Incorporated

(it's a north american aboriginal name...it also happens with French accents)

I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what was wrong. It looks fine in Excel and MS Access. I thought maybe the import from either Access, Excel or plain CSV was getting the character set wrong, so I played with lots of different encodings for the database, etc.

It turns out though, after viewing the the same table with Navicat and Adminer, the data is intact and it's DBForge's view of it that is mangled.

Is there anything I can do to fix the data view being presented in DBForge?...I have version 7.1.31 Standard Edition.

alexa

Re: Retrieved data shows mangled characters

Post by alexa » Tue 06 Dec 2016 09:03

You can select 'utf8 -> Unicode (UTF-8)' on the 'Advanced' tab of the 'Database Connection Properties' dialog box that can be opened by right-clicking the connection in Database Explorer and selecting 'Modify Connection' from the popup menu.

DaveX64

Post by DaveX64 » Tue 06 Dec 2016 13:57

That fixed it, thanks! :D

alexa

Post by alexa » Tue 06 Dec 2016 14:14

Thank you for updating us on this issue. Please let us know if any questions arise.