UI freezing up frequently when I examine or edit a view

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
gschiff

UI freezing up frequently when I examine or edit a view

Post by gschiff » Fri 17 Mar 2017 00:27

Frequently when I double-click a view to review or edit it, the dbForge Studio UI completely freezes and never returns. I have to kill the task and restart it.

Is this a known bug? Is there any way to prevent this?

I am using version 3.6.389.

Please advise,
Garrett Schiff

alexa

Re: UI freezing up frequently when I examine or edit a view

Post by alexa » Fri 17 Mar 2017 09:49

You are using an obsolete product version. Please upgrade it to the latest version 3.9 http://www.devart.com/dbforge/oracle/st ... nload.html

gschiff

Post by gschiff » Fri 17 Mar 2017 20:01

Hi Alexa, thank you for the speedy response.

My license was purchased some years ago and I am out of the 1-year support/upgrade period.

Before I approach my supervisors to spend the money for the current version... can you confirm whether the behavior I am describing is a known defect in v3.6.389 that is corrected in the current release? I would not wish to spend the money on the upgrade only to learn that the problem remains.

Also, is there any pricing break for existing users upgrading to the latest version?

Thanks,
Garrett Schiff

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 20 Mar 2017 12:20

Hi Alexa, thank you for the speedy response.

My license was purchased some years ago and I am out of the 1-year support/upgrade period.

Before I approach my supervisors to spend the money for the current version... can you confirm whether the behavior I am describing is a known defect in v3.6.389 that is corrected in the current release? I would not wish to spend the money on the upgrade only to learn that the problem remains.
You can try the latest version 3.9 of dbForge Studio for Oracle. In case it says the trial period has expired, we sent you a trial period extension by e-mail.
Also, is there any pricing break for existing users upgrading to the latest version?
Due to our policy we do not provide discounts on renewals and upgrades.

gschiff

Post by gschiff » Mon 20 Mar 2017 15:32

Thank you Alexander, understood. I will try out 3.9 to verify it resolves my stability issues before purchasing the upgrade.

One final question... can I safely install the 3.9 Trial in parallel to my existing 3.6, or will it overwrite it?

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 20 Mar 2017 17:29

The new version will overwrite the older one. Though, you still will be able to download it from Registered Users' Area using your login and password received from our Sales department when purchasing the product. If you have lost it, please contact salesATdevartDOTcom .

gschiff

Post by gschiff » Tue 11 Apr 2017 18:11

Alex,

I've been using the 3.9 trial successfully and my employer purchased the full product. They were given an installation package for the licensed version.

Do I have to re-install again to replace the trial? Or is there any way to just enter the license key to end the trial and activate the registered version?

If I have to re-install again, will I lose all my preferences and database connections setup?

Thanks,
Garrett Schiff

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 12 Apr 2017 06:18

You have to install a registered version downloaded from Registered Users' Area on top of the trial one. Herewith, there is no need to manually uninstall the Trial version. This way, all the settings will be preserved.

Also, you can backup the settings of dbForge Studio for Oracle with the Import and Export Settings wizard that can be accessed from the main menu 'Tools -> Import and Export Settings...'.

gschiff

Post by gschiff » Wed 12 Apr 2017 16:29

Thank you Alex, I will attempt this today.