Projects

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
Valgardur

Projects

Post by Valgardur » Mon 20 Apr 2015 09:55

Just having a look at projects in dbForge..

1. I can add .trg files to the project but not to the building order (I also use other extensions)
2. Why do my project files need to be in a separete folder?
3. Ideally I would simply like to add files to a project and execute in defined order, is that not possible? (and definitely not from a Windows command prompt)

alexa

Re: Projects

Post by alexa » Tue 21 Apr 2015 14:25

1. I can add .trg files to the project but not to the building order (I also use other extensions)
You would need to change the file extension to *.sql.
2. Why do my project files need to be in a separete folder?
Project files may not necessarily be located in a separate folder.
3. Ideally I would simply like to add files to a project and execute in defined order, is that not possible? (and definitely not from a Windows command prompt)
Yes, that's possible. You would need to setup *.sql files in Build Order and deploy the project.

Valgardur

Post by Valgardur » Tue 21 Apr 2015 14:46

Thanks for the reply

1. That is not the way we work, .sql is not appropriate. Why not simply allow any file type???
2. I was forced to choose a different folder for my output
3. But would that not mean that I would deploy after any change? It would be so much more helpful if I could setup up files to execute.. change each file's content and then run.

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 22 Apr 2015 09:06

1. That is not the way we work, .sql is not appropriate. Why not simply allow any file type???
We will review this suggestion when developing future product builds.
2. I was forced to choose a different folder for my output
Could you please clarify what you mean by 'output'?

Please note that you can select 'Build output path' in the 'Build' section of the project properties.
3. But would that not mean that I would deploy after any change? It would be so much more helpful if I could setup up files to execute.. change each file's content and then run.
Could you please clarify this and let us know whether you want to deploy after each change or not?

Valgardur

Post by Valgardur » Wed 22 Apr 2015 09:21

1. thanks
2. when building a single file with all commands
3. I want to have a ProjectFile that refers to CommandFileA and CommandFileB, I may need to change something in CommandFileA and then I would like to use the ProjectFile to run both CommandFileA and CommandFileB without any build or further steps.

Any ideas when this might be available? I have been stubbornly using dbForge rather than PLSQL Developer (as my colleagues) because I don't need an Oracle client with dbForge.

However, dbForge is still far behind in many aspects, jobs, compile all invalid objects, better code formatting, coda analysis, SubVersion add-on (that works with individual objects) and hazzle free updates (not having to export and import my settings) to name a few.

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 22 Apr 2015 13:54

Unfortunately, we still not quite understood the questions 2 and 3. Could you please describe them in more detail with screenshots if it's possible?

You can send a reply straight to our support system at supportATdevartDOTcom and alexaATdevartDOTcom

Valgardur

Post by Valgardur » Wed 22 Apr 2015 14:16

Thanks, but I am not sure if I can describe better.. so lets close this issue.

alexa

Post by alexa » Thu 04 Feb 2016 15:04

We would like to let you know that dbForge Studio for Oracle, v3.8, where the issue you reported is fixed, is available for downloading https://www.devart.com/dbforge/oracle/s ... nload.html

Thank you for your help in improving dbForge Studio for Oracle.