Performance Tuning DBCOMPARE

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
Eknipfer

Performance Tuning DBCOMPARE

Post by Eknipfer » Thu 10 Jul 2014 21:01

I've tried searching this forum for tuning hints using the Oracle DBCOMPARE utility and did not find anything specific. If there is a topic available, I'll gladly close this one down in lieu of that one.

First time user for DBCOMPARE. Right now, without doing anything special, I'm finding that the tool compares data for 1 table in a UNIX 10.2.5 DB environment to the same table in a UNIX 11R2 environment at a rate of roughly 15k-16k rows per hour (around 1200-1300 per minute).

The table I'm comparing will have several million rows that I would need to process.

I am using the demo version of the product, and depending on how our testing is going, may choose to purchase several licenses for my environment.

Does anyone have hints on how to improve performance or feedback if a compare using this tool for that number of rows is fundamentally unwise.

The tool so far has looked "good", just need for it to process a factor or 10-100 times faster.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

alexa

Re: Performance Tuning DBCOMPARE

Post by alexa » Fri 11 Jul 2014 10:55

Unfortunately, we can't help you if you need to compare all the rows in the table.

Otherwise, you can filter out some not needed records with the WHERE filter. You can specify conditions in the 'WHERE Filter' dialog box that can be invoked on the 'Mapping' page of the 'New Data Comparison' wizard. Please refer to the 'WHERE Filter Dialog Box' topic in the product's Help documentation for details.

Eknipfer

Post by Eknipfer » Fri 11 Jul 2014 15:52

So the only way to tune / improve performance and minimize run time is simply exclude records?

What about excluding columns or other physical server options?

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 14 Jul 2014 08:45

Unfortunately, there is no other way.