"Fatal error: failed to access critical object data"

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
object

"Fatal error: failed to access critical object data"

Post by object » Fri 29 Oct 2010 14:20

I have installed DevArt dotConnect for Oracle with Entity Developer. Earlier I had Oracle Express 10g installed, and I managed to create a connection to it from. Later I uninstalled Oracle Express and installed Oracle client. Now if I start Visual Studio 2010 and go to View -> DevArt Developer Tools -> Database Explorer, I can see a Windows with an old Oracle XE connection. Attempt to expand this connection or create a new one results in error message "Fatal error: failed to access critical object data".

I am able however to create an Entity Model by choosing an Oracle dotConnect provider if I choose Data -> Add New Data Source.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 29 Oct 2010 15:58

Could you please try to run Visual Studio in setup mode (devenv.exe /setup)?
If this doesn't help, please try to reinstall dotConnect for Oracle.
Please let us know if the error persists.

object

Post by object » Fri 29 Oct 2010 19:02

Thank you for the suggestions. I can only test it on Monday morning, but as soon as I find out something, I will post it here.

object

Post by object » Mon 01 Nov 2010 14:56

I have tried both options (first devenv /setup, then uninstalling and reinstalling all Devart components (dotConnect and Oracle tools). Unfortunately I am still getting the same error ("failed to access critical program data").

What works?
Selections under "Tools -> Oracle" menu item group seems to work fine: I can for example select "Oracle Object Wizard", specify data connection properties, and it creates a new data connection and generates edmx file.

What does not work?
Selections unders "Tools -> Devart OreDeveloper Tools" do not work: if I select for example "New Query", it immediately gives me that error. After that it no longer reacts on "New Query" selection (nothing happens) until I restart Visual Studio.

Selections under "Tools -> Entity Developer" do not work either, but most of them for some strange reasons are disabled. I can not for example choose "Generate from database" - it is always disabled. Choosing "New Query" does not result with anything.

I have been only using trial version of components for about a week, and assuming I managed to get Entity Developer to work, it seems to be a best EF integration with Oracle. But of course this error is currently a showstopper.

object

More input on this error message

Post by object » Mon 01 Nov 2010 17:00

The same error occurs if I try to create an Oracle database project using Devart Oracle db project template (I just reinstalled Devart components).

1. I select New -> Project -> Devart database projects -> Oracle, then select the template.

2. "Failed to access critical program data". However project file is created. Here is the content:

3. If I try to open the project without quiting Visual Studio, nothing happens.

4. If I quit Visual Studio first and try to open the project, the same error is displayed.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Tue 02 Nov 2010 12:01

This looks like a conflict in OraDeveloper Tools and dotConnect for Oracle.
If possible, please upgrade to the latest builds of both products.
We are unable to reproduce the problem with the recent versions.

object

Post by object » Tue 02 Nov 2010 12:56

How do I get latest builds? I have donwloaded trial versions of everything. Since I am in evaluation phase, I can upgrade to anything you suggest.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Tue 02 Nov 2010 13:28

Here are the links to dotConnect for Oracle 5.70 Professional Trial and OraDeveloper Tools 2.60 for VS 2010.
Please let me know if the error persists.

object

Post by object » Tue 02 Nov 2010 14:07

I think it's the same versions that I installed earlier. However, I unistalled all Devart products from my machine and only installed dotConnect for Oracle. I no longer get the error message, but it does not seem to work: most of the options are disabled.

If I go to View -> Entity Developer menu inside Visual Studio 2010, then here are the menu items state:
Database Explorer (disabled)
Model Explorer (disabled)
Diagram Overview (disabled)
Find in Model (disabled)
Model Find Results (enabled)

So basically everything useful is disabled and I can not design any entities. However if I create a data source connection, then I can select Oracle dotConnect, successfully connect to a database, choose tables and generate EDMX file.

If I go to Tools -> Entity Developer, then all "interesting" menu options are also disabled. However the very first time "New Query" is enabled. If I select it, then VS waits for a few seconds and then disables "New Query" item.

Note, I have not installed Oracle developer tools, just donConnect is installed on my machine.

Perhaps the fact that Entity Developer commands are disables in Visual Studio can shed some light on what is going on?

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Tue 02 Nov 2010 15:14

Try to reinstall dotConnect for Oracle, this looks like an installation error.
However, please note that the most of Entity Developer features are available when you add a Devart Entity model (or Devart LinqConnect model) to your project.

object

Post by object » Tue 02 Nov 2010 15:34

I created a new Devart Entity Model, and everything worked fine. I see now that options were disabled for good reasons.

Since I only had dotConnect installed and every time I started VS, it prompted me to install OraDeveloper tools, I went ahead and installed OraDeveloper. Then if I select options Tools -> Devart OraDeveloper Tools (e.g. New Sql), I still get the same error message. However for my work this is not important - looks like it's only OraDeveloper tools that are not working, and I can continue evaluating with Entity Developer.

So basically there is still some problem with OraDeveloper tools that I installed after dotConnect, but all features in dotConnect seems to be working fine.

Thanks for your help.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Wed 03 Nov 2010 16:15

Glad to hear that the issue has gone.
However, I have performed a test and failed to reproduce the issue. The most probable reason is some old assembly left in GAC after previous installs.
In case you need to work with OraDeveloper Tools, try to completely uninstall both products, examine GAC for Devart assemblies, clear the %Program FIles%\Devart and %Program Files%\Common Files\Devart folders. This should help.

object

Post by object » Wed 03 Nov 2010 17:37

I see. I will try to clean GAC and try again.

object

Post by object » Thu 04 Nov 2010 09:57

Uninstalled Devart products, ensured both GAC and Program Files folders are clean, reinstalled dotConnect and Oracle Developer. From dotConnect I can go to Database Explorer, but Oracle Developer gives me the same error message.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 05 Nov 2010 12:10

object wrote:I have installed DevArt dotConnect for Oracle with Entity Developer. Earlier I had Oracle Express 10g installed, and I managed to create a connection to it from. Later I uninstalled Oracle Express and installed Oracle client. Now if I start Visual Studio 2010 and go to View -> DevArt Developer Tools -> Database Explorer, I can see a Windows with an old Oracle XE connection. Attempt to expand this connection or create a new one results in error message "Fatal error: failed to access critical object data".
Have you tried to remove the invalid Oracle Express 10g connection from your Database Explorer?
object wrote:Since I only had dotConnect installed and every time I started VS, it prompted me to install OraDeveloper tools ...
This dialog has the “Don't show this message again” checkbox. You can select it to disable the notification.
object wrote:From dotConnect I can go to Database Explorer, but Oracle Developer gives me the same error message.
1. You mean that "Database Explorer - Entity Developer" (View > Entity Developer > Database Explorer) works OK, but "Database Explorer" (View > Devart Developer Tools > Database Explorer) generates the "failed to access critical program data" error when you are creating a new connection, don't you?
2. Please post here the exact versions of dotConnect for Oracle (x.xx.xxx) and OraDeveloper Tools (x.xx.xxx) you are using. You can find these product's versions in the Tools > Oracle (Devart OraDeveloper Tools) > About menu of Visual Studio.