Possible improvement: Security privileges + Others....

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
goethals.f

Possible improvement: Security privileges + Others....

Post by goethals.f » Wed 11 Aug 2010 14:02

Hello,

For the last years I'm daily using the OraDeveloper Tools from within VS.NET (2003 up to 2010) for accesing and maintaining our oracle DB's.

This year we have made decissions to be more secure concerning oracle users/roles/ etc...

I was very pleased to see that in OraDeveloper Tools there was the Oracle Security Manager, which I use a lot.

But I still miss some handy-feature. I find it very "difficult" to maintain for example the securiy for one specific DB-object (table, package).
If for example, you have several DB-roles, and need to fine-tune security for this object for this roles --> you have to select always first the Role/User.

I simply miss something (maybe it is there) to have the DB object really as the starting point --> and just select a Role/User and specify the grants (which are then always related to the selected object)

Also an overview of which security is now really specified on a specific Db-object --> I can not see it in OraDeveloper Tools, without manually goiing to each Role/User etc... (I now i can view it through the EM-console of oracle itself, but i would be great if it could be done from VS.NET)

Maybe as a last remark some other improvements:

*) is there some possibility to export data (or a filtered-selection of the data, resultset from SQL) to real INSERT-SQL statements ? This would be handy to transfer data-portions from one DB to the other (TEST - DEVEL - PROD)

*) are there functions concerning auditing and its options (audit users, objects, reviews of current active audit-rules, ...) included in OraDeveloper Tools ? These functionalities are only relevant if auditing is relevant (so maybe not a main feature...)

But nevertheless, a real appreciated thanks for the already great tool. But as alwasy, possible improvements are possible (if there is time :wink: )

Thx

Fred

.jp
Devart Team

Post by .jp » Fri 13 Aug 2010 06:50

*) are there functions concerning auditing and its options (audit users, objects, reviews of current active audit-rules, ...) included in OraDeveloper Tools ? These functionalities are only relevant if auditing is relevant (so maybe not a main feature...)
Unfortunately, OraDeveloper Tools does not provide tools to view privileges granted for database objects.
We have considered your suggestion and will implement it in the next version of the product. However, you can view user privileges for a database object with the help of a simple query specified below:

Code: Select all

SELECT
	GRANTOR AS OWNER,
	GRANTEE AS USER_NAME,
	TABLE_NAME AS OBJECT_NAME,
	PRIVILEGE,
	GRANTABLE
FROM
	ALL_TAB_PRIVS
WHERE
	TABLE_NAME='';
Thanks.

.jp
Devart Team

Post by .jp » Fri 13 Aug 2010 07:47

*) is there some possibility to export data (or a filtered-selection of the data, resultset from SQL) to real INSERT-SQL statements ? This would be handy to transfer data-portions from one DB to the other (TEST - DEVEL - PROD)
You can export data in two ways:

1. By using Visual Studio: Tools->Devart OraDeveloper Tools->Database->Schema Export menu item in OraDeveloper Tools.

2. With a new tool, dbForge Data Compare for Oracle, which you can download for free. (dbForge Data Compare for Oracle is absolutely free for commercial and non-commercial usage).