Compile/Rollback buttons on the integrated tools for D2007

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
polsol

Compile/Rollback buttons on the integrated tools for D2007

Post by polsol » Mon 05 Nov 2007 14:30

I am using the integrated tools on D2007. Unless I missed something there is no 'copile' button on the open tabsheet when editing a table structure using the tools. One has to close the page to get a 'Save changes?' dialog.

Also notice that changing a column name (using the above 'technique') didn't update the column name and there was no error message. I still had an active OraQuery at the time. Closing the connection and re-changing the column name, closing the D2007 Tools Column edit page and accepting 'Save Changes?" worked OK.

Lastly, I have found a peculiarity on using OraTools to create databases. For some reason I get inverted commas column names. e.g. "Field1" instead of Field1. When trying to run the app I received error messages like 'Can't find column "Field1".
I didn't add the inverted commas so I have no idea how they got there.
It's also not all the columns created. I'm new to Oracle so don't know what the significance is of inverted Commas in a field name. Just know it creates problems!!!

Must say I have no complaints about performance with the ODAC components and am enjoying their (relative) simplicity.

Regards,

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Tue 06 Nov 2007 16:03

I am using the integrated tools on D2007. Unless I missed something there is no 'copile' button on the open tabsheet when editing a table structure using the tools. One has to close the page to get a 'Save changes?' dialog.
To apply changes use standard Save button of Delphi IDE.
For some reason I get inverted commas column names. e.g. "Field1" instead of Field1.
In Oracle when you quote database object name server "remembers" name case, otherwise server brings it to upper case. Thus "Field1" is not equal to Field1.

polsol

Post by polsol » Tue 06 Nov 2007 16:29

Hi Duke,

1) OK, so one just uses the Save icon in Delphi to committ a table change. Got it

2) Do you mean that if I enter Field1 in Oracle I will get "Field1" in the column name but if I enter FIELD1 than I will get FIELD1? If so then that explains a lot. I use Oracle SQL Developer to structure the initial table then use your tools for 'fine tuning'. Oracle SQL developer converts the column names to upercase as standard whilst your tools allow lower case entry.
If this is so then it explains a lot.
Sorry for using you as an Oracle resource but getting precise info on Oracle is difficult because of the volume of information that exists.

I am coming from a (fairly weak) Firebird background to Oracle so please excuse possibly silly questions.(where there are no restrictions to upper/lower case field (column) names).

Your support is, as always, excellent. thanks!

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Wed 07 Nov 2007 07:38

2) Do you mean that if I enter Field1 in Oracle I will get "Field1" in the column name but if I enter FIELD1 than I will get FIELD1?
It's not quite so. Let me explain on example.

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE Table1 (
Field1 NUMBER
)
Here are two examples of correct SELECT statement for this table

SELECT FIELD1 FROM TABLE1;
SELECT fiLD1 FROM table1;

CREATE TABLE "Table2" (
"Field1" NUMBER
)