Possible migrating from MyDac...

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
ashlar64

Possible migrating from MyDac...

Post by ashlar64 » Mon 07 May 2007 20:29

Hello,

I own MyDac (excellent product btw) and am considering migrating to the .net version. It looks like its quite different than what I would have thought it would have looked like.

For instance I could do this:

MyQuery_Site_ID->Append();
MyQuery_Site_ID->FieldByName("Field1")->AsString = "blah1";
MyQuery_Site_ID->FieldByName("Field2")->AsString = "blah2";
MyQuery_Site_ID->FieldByName("Field3")->AsString = "blah3";
MyQuery_Site_ID->Post();

Is there a similar component like TMyQuery in .net version that can do this? Or do all the appends / inserts need to be done with a full SQL statement?

Thanks!

---Dave

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Tue 08 May 2007 08:08

There is another technology of doing this in .NET.
You should use datasets and disconnected model.

ashlar64

Post by ashlar64 » Tue 08 May 2007 14:24

Thanks for the response.

I assume you would link those dataset components in Microsofts Visual Studio 2005 with the MySqlConnection component and use it that way? Are there any examples / tutorials on how to do this?

So what would be the benefit be of using the datasets and disconnected model compared to using those other components? Any speed differences?

I just have alot of code that looks like the code I showed you above and I am trying to determine what would be the best way to convert it into C# code.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Tue 08 May 2007 14:54

Datasets are linked with database with MySqlDataAdapter components.
Please check out our projects at %ProgramFiles%\CoreLab\MySQLDirect.NET\Samples, especially DataSet sample project.