Migrating from V3 to V4

Migrating from V3 to V4

Postby isystemsltd » Fri 04 May 2007 08:35

Hi,
I have my website running on v3 of MySQL Direct .Net.
I recently purchased v4 of same component, and now want to migrate to v4.

So, what is the safest way to migrate to new version ? Is it simply installing v4 over v3 ?

I dont want to affect my live website.
isystemsltd

Postby Serious » Fri 04 May 2007 09:55

MySQLDirect .NET version 4.0 components are backward compatible with 3.* version, but you cannot just replace assemblies and update settings in existing environment, because MySQLDirect .NET runtime code is now placed in two assemblies: CoreLab.Data and CoreLab.MySql. This can cause differences in application deploying, it also requires to add CoreLab.Data reference to the project.
Serious

Postby isystemsltd » Fri 04 May 2007 10:16

Thank you for you reply.

Can you please put number-wise steps I have to take to migrate from v3 o v4. I could not get some idea from your reply but not fully.

I have my website running on my development machine which has v4, but my live server has webiste running with v3.

So, I also have dll ready with v4 which I can place on server. But only problem is should I simply install v4 over v3 on live server ?
isystemsltd

Postby Serious » Fri 04 May 2007 12:55

Open your project, remove reference to old CoreLab.MySql assembly, add references to CoreLab.Data and CoreLab.MySql assemblies.
Serious

Postby isystemsltd » Fri 04 May 2007 13:34

Hi,
You are not getting my problem.

I dont have Visual Studio installed on my live server, not have I project configured on my live server.

I will only uploaded my latest website dll file on live server to replace the current dll of website.

My latest dll of webiste is build using v4 of your component, while live website is using v3 or earlier of your component.

So, if I have to uplaod only new dll for my website, what steps I have to take to make my website use v4 of your component.
isystemsltd

Postby Serious » Fri 04 May 2007 14:25

If MySQLDirect .NET is used only by dll that you want to update, remove the old assembly, then copy CoreLab.Data, CoreLab.MySql assemblies to the place where the old one was installed. If MySQLDirect .NET runtime assembly used by several applications, do not remove old assembly, just deploy CoreLab.Data, CoreLab.MySql assemblies into the GAC.
Serious

Return to dotConnect for MySQL