Very frustrating. Datatable and Membership

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
eoinmag

Very frustrating. Datatable and Membership

Post by eoinmag » Thu 12 Apr 2007 08:46

I've no doubt that a lot of work went into gettting this product to the stage it's at now but I really think it needs to be marketed far better than it currently is.

Firstly I trawled through the site for ages looking for a price for the various versions of MYSQLDirect, eventually I just gave up and downloaded the trial. I still have no idea how much this costs!

Then I was hoping that there might be some sort of 'idiots guide' to getting the thing up and running, covering all the most common scenarios.
For example "You've got a MySQL DB with your new hosting solution and you want to connect to it through VS.Net 2005, do this!". Instead I found technical articles which, while informative, didn't tell me what I needed to know.

Another common request is attempting to set up membership and roles. I've done this many times in .Net but had no idea how to do it using this product. Once again there was no clear guide on how to do it.

I really think you'd sell so many more copies of this, no-doubt very impressive, software if you gave the not-so-experienced developers a few guides on doing the most common things.

With that in mind, has anyone got any tips on these following issues I'm having (using the latest version of MySQL Direct)

1) I just want to check that I can connect to my remote MySQL DB. I have the DB setup with a table and dummy data and am trying to get my VS.net 2005 to connect and show this dummy data. No joy so far.

2) I would love to know how to set up membership etc, any tips would be very helpful.

3) The trial is 30 days, does this mean that after 30 days the code I've already done will stop working or will I just not be able to write any more code?

4) Please! How much are the various versions of the software! This really should be obvious. I know someone will just link to a page they think is obvious but it should be on emblazoned across the homepage, it should be a selling point.

ok...that's all. Thanks!

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 12 Apr 2007 13:04

1) I just want to check that I can connect to my remote MySQL DB. I have the DB setup with a table and dummy data and am trying to get my VS.net 2005 to connect and show this dummy data. No joy so far.
Do the following:
  • 1. Create a fresh windows application in VS 2005.
    2. Drop MySqlDataAdapter component onto a form designer.
    3. Press smart tag of this component and choose "Configure Data Adapter..." item from the pop-up menu.
    4. Enter the appropriate select statement to retrieve your dummy data.
    5. Press OK. In the appeared window choose "New..." and press OK.
    6. Fill in the connection string attributes to connect to your MySQL Server database and press OK.
    7. Press smart tag again and choose "Preview data..." item. Your data will show up.
2) I would love to know how to set up membership etc, any tips would be very helpful.
You should add an appropriate section into your web.config file. For more information please consult "ASP.NET Provider Model Support" topic of our documentation.
3) The trial is 30 days, does this mean that after 30 days the code I've already done will stop working or will I just not be able to write any more code?
Your applications will stop working until you obtain a proper license from us.
4) Please! How much are the various versions of the software! This really should be obvious. I know someone will just link to a page they think is obvious but it should be on emblazoned across the homepage, it should be a selling point.
Please visit this page for the information about prices.

eoinmag

Post by eoinmag » Thu 12 Apr 2007 15:13

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'll try to get it working this evening, and will look into purchasing it. Thanks again.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 12 Apr 2007 17:00

If something goes wrong, feel free to contact us again.