MySqlDirect toolbox items remain greyed out after trying to add them

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
Cody21

MySqlDirect toolbox items remain greyed out after trying to add them

Post by Cody21 » Tue 13 Mar 2007 17:55

I followed these directions from the HELP documentation to the tee ... The items in the ToolBox remain greyed out. How do I get these items functioning?

Steps I did:

Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
On first VisualStudio.NET IDE startup after successful installation MySQLDirect .NET components are automatically registered in Toolbox. If auto registration fails, do the following steps to install components manually:

Items were greyed out after new install, so I REMOVED all items from MySqlDirect Toolbox item by "deselecting" them in the Add/Remove Items. (I did *NOT* delete the MySqlDirect tab.)
Highligted the MySqlDirect toolbox folder.
Select Add/Remove Items... from popup menu;
Go to .NET Framework Components tab within opened dialog;
Check the components that begin with "MySql";
Press OK button.
Since now MySQLDirect .NET components are available from toolbox.

They remain Greyed Out... why? The Tools / MySql item exists at the top of the main toolbar ... but nothing at all in the ToolBox set.

using Visual Studio Standard 2005

more ......

After spending 2+ hours on the phone with MS (very helpful mind you) we figured out that the ToolBox items only seem to become un-greyed (available for use) when you create/work on a Windows Application Object -- vs. an ASP.NET Project. Is that TRUE? Working as designed???? or do I have something installed incorrectly?

I can't tell you the hours I've wasted on this issue. If this is the case, you need to have that stipulation documented. (I've searched your web site and documentation to death and have found nothing relating to this issue.)

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Wed 14 Mar 2007 07:20

We have documented this problem, actually (in the FAQ).
Make sure you're in Component Designer view (do not confuse with Designer view). To switch between views use context menu of .aspx file in Solution Explorer. This relates to Web projects only.

Cody21

Post by Cody21 » Wed 14 Mar 2007 18:19

Thank you - we finally got this figured out. The toolbox items are now available.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 15 Mar 2007 08:40

You are welcome.