MySQL choice missing on Add Connection in DB Explorer

MySQL choice missing on Add Connection in DB Explorer

Postby Cody21 » Thu 01 Mar 2007 20:03

Purchased a licensed copy of MySQLDirect .NET (3.55x) ... I opened the Windows/Assembly directory and cleared it of any CoreLab assemblies and reinstalled MySqlDirect Pro. Went int Visual Web (Visual Studio subset) and created a new ASP.NET Web site. I copied the CoreLab.mysql.dll to my newly added /bin directory. I go into DB Explorer and click on ON CONNECTION.

There is no option anywhere for a MySQL Database connect.

I *really* need some assistance - I can't use this product for what it was intended and my site is now unusable !!!!!!!

HELP Please !!
Cody21
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu 01 Mar 2007 00:58

Postby Alexey » Fri 02 Mar 2007 11:20

What is meant by "There is no option anywhere for a MySQL Database connect"? How do you invoke this DB Explorer? There should be Database Connection Properties window, where you should add your connection string parameters. Please describe the steps you perform to establish a connection to MySQL server.
Alexey
 
Posts: 2756
Joined: Mon 13 Mar 2006 07:43

Postby Cody21 » Fri 02 Mar 2007 15:45

I am using Visual Web Developer 2005 (not Visual Studio). I downloaded the TRIAL verison (3.55x) to TEST to see if I could connect to MySql DB by having an option in the Database Explorer for MySQL. In the TRIAL version, (in VWD) I clicked on Connect to Database in the DB Explorer, and then under Choose Datasource (or Choose Provider), your MySql provider showed up and was selectable. I was excited that the TRIAL "worked" and I was able to connect to MySQL database; so I dropped $150 to buy the product.

I uninstalled the TRIAL and downloaded and installed the licensed copy. After doing the exact same procedure I outlined above, there is NO MySql Provider available when I try to Choose Datasource. I clicked on all available sources to see if Sql showed up in the Provider pop-down; nada.

However, the site I worked on in the Trial *still works* locally; but not in my published site. (see other post - No Data Provider found). I just can't find MySql as an available provider anymore in VWD whe I try to manage the datasource.

Does this make sense now? Is MySQLDirect supported in Visual Web Developer 2005 vs. Visual Studio 2005 ?


Alexey wrote:What is meant by "There is no option anywhere for a MySQL Database connect"? How do you invoke this DB Explorer? There should be Database Connection Properties window, where you should add your connection string parameters. Please describe the steps you perform to establish a connection to MySQL server.
Cody21
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu 01 Mar 2007 00:58

Postby Alexey » Tue 06 Mar 2007 07:13

Please describe how to reach Database Explorer. Are you sure it is called so? Try to reinstall MySQLDirect .NET.
Alexey
 
Posts: 2756
Joined: Mon 13 Mar 2006 07:43

Postby Cody21 » Tue 06 Mar 2007 15:20

Alexey wrote:Please describe how to reach Database Explorer. Are you sure it is called so? Try to reinstall MySQLDirect .NET.


I launch VWD 2005 from START Menu.
I Open up my Project Web Site
I click on View / Database Explorer
No databases show up in the Explorer Panel (even though the following connection string is in my web.config file)


connectionString="User Id=blah;Password=iblah;Host=localhost;Database=cityswingdb"
providerName="CoreLab.MySql" />


So, I try to "Connect to Database" to create a connection. The next panel that comes up does NOT INLCUDE A MYSQL datasource nor a MYSQL DATA PROVIDER.

And I've uninstalled MySql Direct no less than 3 times - cleared the ASSEMBLY directory, and reinstalled. Is there an "order" which things need to be installed? Shoulld I uninstall BOTH products and reinstall VWD 2005, then MySQL Direct?
Cody21
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu 01 Mar 2007 00:58

Postby Alexey » Wed 07 Mar 2007 10:46

Now I see. I reckon you have tried MySQLDirect .NET 4.0 Beta, but bought MySQLDirect .NET 3.55. The new major version is not released yet, that's why it is not a marketed version. Unfortunately, the functionality you need is absent in MySQLDirect .NET 3.55 (we have implemented it only in the beta). Please wait until the new version is released. You also may use beta for testing purposes.
Alexey
 
Posts: 2756
Joined: Mon 13 Mar 2006 07:43

Postby Cody21 » Wed 07 Mar 2007 15:14

Alexey wrote:Now I see. I reckon you have tried MySQLDirect .NET 4.0 Beta, but bought MySQLDirect .NET 3.55. The new major version is not released yet, that's why it is not a marketed version. Unfortunately, the functionality you need is absent in MySQLDirect .NET 3.55 (we have implemented it only in the beta). Please wait until the new version is released. You also may use beta for testing purposes.


I downloaded the Trial version of whatever the Trial was. Was that the 4.0 BETA? I wasn't aware of that. That is, I only clicked on TRIAL and figured THAT was what I was getting when I bought the release version (Pro).
Cody21
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu 01 Mar 2007 00:58

Postby Alexey » Thu 08 Mar 2007 13:43

There are two sets of trial versions, actually. For 3.5 series and for 4.0.
Alexey
 
Posts: 2756
Joined: Mon 13 Mar 2006 07:43


Return to dotConnect for MySQL