Distributing CoreLab.MySql.dll with an app

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
MrBishop

Distributing CoreLab.MySql.dll with an app

Post by MrBishop » Thu 04 Jan 2007 15:10

When distributing my app to my client, I've been asking them to just run the CoreLab installer with the Minimal installation checked, as noted that I can do in the documentation. I'd really like to be able to just send the dll along with an app.config file (if necessary) to make it easier for the end user (I'm mainly thinking about when MySQLDirect gets upgraded).

I've found that if I manually modify the machine.config, my code will pick up the MySQLDirect provider with no problem just by providing the dll by adding this line:
However, I've been playing around with app.config, and can't seem to get it right, I always get an error along the lines of "MySQLDirect factory not found" here:

Code: Select all

return DbProviderFactories.GetFactory( CurrentFactory );
As I said, everything works great if I have the user run the install, or manually modify machine.config, but I would appreciate some guidance on adding MySQLDirect to the factory list on a per-app basis.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 05 Jan 2007 17:26

From the Licensing topic of MySQLDirect .NET help documentation:
Applications that call MySQLDirect .NET through DbProviderFactory require MySQLDirect .NET installed on target machine. To deploy the data provider launch installer and use Minimal install type. The licenses.licx file is not required in this case. DbProviderFactory support allows to use MySQLDirect .NET in SQL Server 2005 Business Intelligence Solutions.

MrBishop

Post by MrBishop » Fri 05 Jan 2007 17:45

Oops, missed that part. Thanks, Alexey.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 05 Jan 2007 17:59

Not at all.