Hosting provider security issues

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 14 Dec 2006 07:05

Re-sent. Please check the mail.

csnell

Post by csnell » Thu 14 Dec 2006 16:50

O.k. - received test project but having similar issues. New build (3.55.16) seems to help, at least in non-direct mode on my development pc and only if I copy libmysql.dll to \windows\system32 folder (otherwise I get 'can't find MySql error'). I'm not sure that non-direct mode is an option for my hosting providers server (my test doesn't work on there server - getting same SecurityPermission error using direct or non-direct mode).

As for my server, I'm getting SecurityPermission, 'MySql lost connection during query', and 'attempt to read or write protected memory' errors (although the last two errors it looks like I'm getting past opening the connection). Like my pc, I had to copy libmysql.dll to windows\system32 folder do get rid of 'can't find MySql server' errors.

I seem to be having issues depending on where CoreLab.MySql.dll and libmysql.dll are located. Where are these files located on your pc, and are you able to run your test site with CoreLab.MySql.dll in application \bin instead of GAC?

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Mon 18 Dec 2006 11:16

We are able to run the test site with CoreLab.MySql.dll in application Bin directory. It should work on your end as well.

csnell

Post by csnell » Mon 18 Dec 2006 15:53

Once CoreLab.MySql.dll has been in GAC and your test site loaded, the site will intermittently run fine whether the dll is in the GAC, bin, both or, surprisingly, neither (because it appears to be cached). Try removing the ddl from the GAC, putting it only in \bin, then restarting your server and trying again. With restart and dll only in bin, I get SecurityPermission error. If put the dll back in the GAC and remove it from bin, all works fine.

I have separate issue with non-direct mode, though.

When running my application in non-direct mode in medium trust, a test page I tried works o.k. w/dll in GAC. However, when I try to run the real application, I get various errors (termination during query, attempting to access protected memory). This is occurring on a stored proc that retrieves a list of parameters from the 'proc' table in the 'mysql' database. I don't have this problem in direct mode under full trust. I tried moving the proc to the 'mysql' db and executing it using a separate connection with database=mysql and got the same errors. Seems like executing a stored proc that references tables in the 'mysql' database doesn't work. The login I'm using has access to the 'mysql' db.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 21 Dec 2006 09:43

Finally, i was able to reproduce the problem with SecurityPermission.
Now we are investigating it. You will be notified on results as soon as possible.

csnell

Post by csnell » Thu 21 Dec 2006 10:27

Thanks for the update. Will you be trying to resolve the SecurityPermission issue in direct mode, too? If not, my problem of not being able to access the 'mysql' database tables in non-direct mode will probably mean I have to do some re-coding or try a different data provider. And, as usual, my schedule on this project is getting critical due to the delay, so any feedback on timeframe for issue resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 22 Dec 2006 11:03

This problem doesn't seem to be mode dependant, so it will be fixed in both modes (if, of course, it is MySQLDirect .NET's issue).