licencing model mystery

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
geomancer

licencing model mystery

Post by geomancer » Fri 13 Oct 2006 14:55

I am building and deploying a core library that includes CoreLab.MySql in its references: let us name this library ourLibrary.dll. When I build applications using ourLibrary.dll as a reference, the application will not start unless the licenses.licx is included as an embedded in the application itself: the application needs to know about a referenced library's licensing?

Is this correct? Adding the embedded resource to my applications is certainly working, but this is a surprising predicament.

Am I missing something?

Thank you

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 13 Oct 2006 15:05

"Licensing" article of our help documentation in so many words states:
MySQLDirect .NET allows to create class libraries that can be used with certain executable files. To do this perform the following steps:
Create and setup file named licenses.licx.
Create a text file named licenses.config and place it next to licenses.licx.
In this file enumerate names of executable files that will work with the library, every file name on separate line, for example:
MyApplication.exe
MyAnotherApp.exe
ExtraTool.exe
You do not have to add the file licenses.config to project.

geomancer

But I am not going to know what application names users of my library will select...

Post by geomancer » Fri 13 Oct 2006 15:18

In this case they will have to include licenses.licx as an embedded resource?

Are there other alternatives for users of ourLibrary that are transparent (ie; they won't need to embed a resource and may use any name they desire for their application?

Thanks

Alexey

Re: licencing model mystery

Post by Alexey » Fri 13 Oct 2006 15:25

geomancer wrote:I am building and deploying a core library that includes CoreLab.MySql in its references.
So this is you who will have to include licenses.licx as an embedded resource. Isn't it transparent?

geomancer

Not exactly, here is a scenario...

Post by geomancer » Fri 13 Oct 2006 15:39

We are building a library ourLibrary.dll that accomplishes a specific task. I build licenses.licx into the library as an embedded resource. I make ourLibrary.dll available to anyone that needs it: say it is pre-sales engineering.

A pre-sales engineer builds a sample application, and includes ourLibrary.dll as a reference. They make a call to the library that requires checking if a database exists and a connection may be made to it. The connection fails because the application name they have chosen is not in the licenses.config file (unless they get very lucky), and the application they have built does embed the licenses.licx resource.

At this point is my only alternative to send them a licenses.licx and ask them to add it to their project as an embedded resource, and rebuild?

And I will do this for each application that anyone builds using ourLibrary.dll?

Thanks

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 13 Oct 2006 15:53

Licensing was added exactly to eliminate such cases of misuse.
You will have to either include all *.exe file names in licenses.config file or to provide the users of your dll with appropriate TODO.
In second case you'll never need to embed licenses.licx file yourself.