Unable to find the requested .Net framework data provider in MS Visual Studio

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
afeastman

Unable to find the requested .Net framework data provider in MS Visual Studio

Post by afeastman » Thu 31 Aug 2006 20:19

I'm Running XP Pro x64 with the Pro version of Visual Studio (VB) 2005. I installed the production version of MySQLDirect 3.50.12.0. I receive the above error message when attempting to connect to a MySQL database. Worse, when I try to enter my connection information in the dialog box for MySQL - it disappears on the first keystroke with no error message. I checked my machine.config XML file (DBProviderFactories) and the entiry for MySQL is present and looks reasonable. The driver appears to work when I run my VB code - I just can't get Visual Studio and MySQLDirect to talk.

Also, when will your product work with the Standard version of Visual Studeo 2005? It's been broken for a long, long time!

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 01 Sep 2006 07:40

You mean you can connect in run-time, but get the error in design-time? Please describe in detail.
dialog box for MySQL
What dialog box is mentioned?
Also, when will your product work with the Standard version of Visual Studeo 2005? It's been broken for a long, long time!
We are waiting for a valid activation key.

afeastmanreply

Reply to Alexies' request for further information.

Post by afeastmanreply » Fri 01 Sep 2006 19:27

Alexey:

Here are the specifics for Visual Studio 2005 steps that lead to the faulty dialog form.

> Server Explore Tab
...>Data Connections
......> Add Connection
.........> Choose Data Source -> I choose “MySql Database”

Visual Studio indicates that the ‘Data Provider’ is “MySqlDirect .Net …”
I choose the [CONTINUE] button on > Choose Data Source and a dialog form comes up with the heading “Add Connection” and it has data entry fields for host, port, user id, etc.

If I attempt to enter data into any of these fiends in this “Add Connection” form – the form disappears. If I choose [Test Connection] it says the connection is valid even though I haven’t given the data provider any information. If I choose [OK] I get an error message that states “Unable to find the requested .Net framework data provider”. I find this odd because I would have expected a message telling me that I needed to provide a host, port, user id, database, password, etc.

My research indicated that some ASP programmers have had similar issues (or at least system messages) and the contents of DBProviderFactories in config.machine was the source of their problem. I looked in the XML for config.machine and it has what looks like a valid entry for MySqlDirect .Net.

My VB program uses MySql.corelab in the import statement and runs correctly. I’m guessing there is a problem between Visual Studio 2005 and MySqlDirect. I can’t use a number of important ADO features if this problem is not resolved.

Also, the CoreLab DataSet Wizard does not work. When I try to generate the code from my input into the Wizard is states: “MSDataSet generator failed. Failed to generate code. Exception of type ‘Ststem.Data.Design.InternalException’ was thrown.” I don’t know if this provides a further clue or just make the situation more confusing.

I look forward to your response.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Sat 02 Sep 2006 08:56

What version of MySQLDirect .NET do you use (Std, Pro, Mobile)?
Have you installed any other version of MySQDirect earlier?

afeastman

Post by afeastman » Tue 05 Sep 2006 06:18

Alexey:

In response to your questions from Saturday, Sept. 2 ... I am using the latest Pro version of MySqlDirect. I tried the trial version (which had the same problems). I un-installed this version (trial) before I installed the production version. I read the FAQ as it relates to un-installs and I believe I have a clean machine but I would be happy to follow up on any suggestions you may have.

Thank You

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Tue 05 Sep 2006 08:52

Try to reinstall MySQLDirect .NET again.
Make sure that MySQLDirect isn't installed and there are no
CoreLab.MySql.dll, CoreLab.MySql.Addin.dll, CoreLab.MySql.Design.dll in GAC.

afeastman

Post by afeastman » Tue 05 Sep 2006 20:25

Alexey:

I did as you suggested - I removed MySqlDirect and used the search facility in windows to confirm there where no CoreLab DLL files on my computer. I rebooted>reinstalled>rebooted and it made no difference - all of the above issues still persist. I checked the machine.config XML file again and the entry for MySqlDirect exists. I await your suggestions. I can connect with Microsoft ODBC so it seems to be a problem specific to CoreLab.[/u]

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Wed 06 Sep 2006 10:39

Please send your machine.config file to the address provided in the Readme file.

afeastman

Problem identified -> solution found

Post by afeastman » Wed 06 Sep 2006 22:59

I figured out the problem for the above error. In the XP Windows Pro x64 environment there are often dual configurations for x86 32-bit software and 64-bit software. One of these instances is in Framework. There is a [Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.#.#####\Config\] path and there is a near identical [Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\...] path for 64 bit software. The installation procedure for CoreLab MySqlDirect NET inserts a required DBProviderFactories entry into the Framework64 .NET path but does not insert an entry into the x86 32-bit Framework .NET path. I copied the DBProviderFactories MySqlDirect entry from the Framework64 machine.config XML file into the machine.config XML file for x86 software and rebooted. The problem goes away.

The above error message is consistent with existing postings on the internet – it points to a problem with the machine.config file. In this case the Machine.Config entry is correct but it is placed into the path for 64 bit software. MySqlDirect .NET is x86 32-bit software and the entry needs to be included in the corresponding x86 Framework config path. I want to emphasis that this problem is specific to the 64-bit version of XP Windows Pro. You will not find a Framework64 path in other versions of Microsoft windows. Because MySql’s version of the 32-bit ODBC driver will not work properly in x64 XP Windows Pro – CoreLab (particularly with stored procedures) is really the only way to go if you want to frolic in the land of 64-bit confusion.

Thank you Alexey for your time.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 07 Sep 2006 06:30

Thanks for your consideration.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Tue 07 Nov 2006 08:12

This problem is fixed in MySQLDirect .NET 3.50.14.