MySQL Lib on Windows Vista?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
badgeratu

Post by badgeratu » Mon 20 Nov 2006 19:39

I would like to add to this thread that we are also experiencing the dreaded "Error 1722" installing on the fully released MSDN (RTM) version of Windows Vista. This is a completely clean install on a new PC that has not had any copies of Vista or MySqlDirect installed previously.

I cannot emphasise the importance that should be placed on this problem - Windows Vista is NOW RELEASED, and for those of us on a critical path to get their application development completed before PC's start shipping with Vista we need this problem sorted QUICKLY.

To attempt to get around the problem it I have copied all the licensed 3.50.14 CoreLab.MySql.* dlls from a successful installation on a Windows XP machine onto the Vista machine into the same Program Files directory structure and manually added them to the GAC.

Using the same ASP.NET project that was working perfectly on Windows XP, I rebuild the App_Licenses.dll by selecting "Build Runtime Licenses" from the licenses.licx context menu, but when I run the project I get a "Invalid Licenses" error.

HOWEVER, if I take the App_Licenses.dll from the project on my XP machine and copy it into the project on the Vista machine, marking it as read-only so it does not get overridden at compile time, I can run the project successfully without an error. The problem now of course is that I cannot add any new controls to the Vista-based project that require licensing, as this will require a recompilation of App_Licenses.dll thereby deleting the license for the MySqlDirect components.

Based on the excellent analysis by joshmouch it really does look like this is nothing more than a minor problem in the installer. In fact, I can verify that the 3.20.8 package installs without a problem on Vista. I would therefore hope it wouldn't take you long to track down and resolve this issue.

Regards,
Simon Jones

badgeratu

Post by badgeratu » Mon 20 Nov 2006 22:01

I will take this one step further to illustrate how easy it is to reproduce the problem on Windows Vista:

1. Install MySQLDirect successfully on a WIndows XP SP2 machine.
2. Copy the entire contents of the C:\Program Files\CoreLab\MySQLDirect.NET2 from that machine to the same location on a Windows Vista machine.
3. Install CoreLab.MySql.dll, CoreLab.MySql.Web.dll in the GAC using gacutil /i.
4. Start Visual Studio 2005.
5. Manually add the CoreLab.MySql.dll components to the Toolbox.
6. Create a new Windows Forms application.
7. Drag a MySqlConnection from the Toolbox onto the Windows Form. The licenses.licx file is created, and the following line is added:

CoreLab.MySql.MySqlConnection, CoreLab.MySql, Version=3.50.14.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701

*** BUT *** a popup dialog is immediately displayed saying that the license is invalid. At runtime as soon as you attempt to open a connection using this control you get the same licensing error. It also pops up every time you open the solution.

Regards,
Simon Jones

badgeratu

Post by badgeratu » Mon 20 Nov 2006 22:10

Finally, to meet your request earlier in this thread, I have sent the entire Windows Forms test project solution I outlined in my previous post, including all binaries, object files and other information, to [email protected]. The email title is "Test Project for MySQLDirect.NET Forum Thread "MySql Lib on Windows Vista"".

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Simon Jones

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Wed 22 Nov 2006 09:49

We are investigating the problem.
You will be notified on results as soon as possible.
Last edited by Alexey on Thu 07 Dec 2006 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

badgeratu

Post by badgeratu » Wed 22 Nov 2006 18:12

I would like to make one further point on this, which is the actual licensing issue is not restricted to Windows Vista, but Windows XP as well should you attempt to just copy the assemblies onto Windows XP, register them and use them. The reason it doesn't normally show up is that if you use the installer (which runs fine on Windows XP) you don’t experience any licensing issues. However, if you just copy the assemblies onto a machine, install them in the GAC, then attempt to use them you will get licensing errors in your application.

I proved this out by following exactly the same steps I followed for testing the licensing on Windows Vista on a completely clean Windows XP SP2 Virtual PC install, first set up as follows:

1. Create a new Virtual PC.
2. Install Windows XP Professional SP2.
3. Download and install all Express and Custom Windows Updates.
4. Install Visual Studio 2005 using the "Default" installation, without product documentation.

After this I went through EXACTLY the same steps as I did on Windows Vista as outlined earlier in this thread, ie:

1. Install MySQLDirect 3.50.14 successfully on a different WIndows XP SP2 machine using the installer.
2. Copy the entire contents of the C:\Program Files\CoreLab\MySQLDirect.NET2 from that machine to the same location on the new Windows XP SP2 machine.
3. Install CoreLab.MySql.dll, CoreLab.MySql.Web.dll in the GAC using gacutil /i.
4. Start Visual Studio 2005.
5. Manually add the CoreLab.MySql.dll components to the Toolbox.
6. Create a new Windows Forms application.
7. Drag a MySqlConnection from the Toolbox onto the Windows Form. The licenses.licx file is created, and the following line is added:

CoreLab.MySql.MySqlConnection, CoreLab.MySql, Version=3.50.14.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701

ONCE AGAIN a popup dialog is immediately displayed saying that the license is invalid. At runtime as soon as you attempt to open a connection using this control you get the same licensing error. It also pops up every time you open the solution. If I now run the full installer for the 3.50.14 assemblies on this platform, and rebuild the project, then it all works fine.

Therefore, I can only conclude that if you get the installer working on Windows Vista, and perform whatever extra steps it carries out on Windows XP that don't get performed by just copying the assemblies manually, then we should be good to go.

Am I also correct in the assumption that you do actually have a copy of Windows Vista RTM for testing?

Regards,
Simon Jones

joshmouch

Bump

Post by joshmouch » Thu 23 Nov 2006 16:57

So far my project has been on hold for weeks now just due to this Vista install error. As badgeratu said, it seems that the install is the only way to get the "magic" of your licensing algorithm to work. I wish the assemblies weren't so obfuscated, so I could help you further.

Normally, I would just switch libraries, but LLBLGen is dependent on yours, so our project is stuck until you can fix this (or provide us with the magic to the licensing... maybe some registry settings where we can put the license key or something).

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 24 Nov 2006 07:11

We will do our best to fix this problem as soon as possible.

joshmouch

Solution

Post by joshmouch » Wed 29 Nov 2006 12:08

It's been quite a while. Do you have a solution or workaround for the vista licensing/install issue?

Even just a "Insert your license key into registry entry X" would be good enough so that we can continue our projects.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 30 Nov 2006 08:38

We cannot disclose our licensing strategy for obvious reasons.
Please wait for the solution.

poirazis

Post by poirazis » Fri 01 Dec 2006 10:48

Some estimation ? We are really getting behind on our projects..

badgeratu

Post by badgeratu » Fri 01 Dec 2006 10:58

I'd also like to get an estimate on when this problem will be resolved. I've spent considerable time compiling very detailed instructions for you on how to replicate the issue and would have hoped you would have returned the courtesy by resolving the issue quickly. At the very least I need some idea about when you will be fixing this issue, as this issue is now on the critical path of our development.

I look forward to your rapid response.

Regards,
Simon Jones

joshmouch

Post by joshmouch » Fri 01 Dec 2006 11:08

Since you can't disclose licensing algorithm information, how about a small application that can set the license key? Just an executable would work. No need for an installation MSI or anything. That should be a 15 minute project.

It would be a useful application to have anyway for debugging and XCOPY deployment.

joshmouch

Post by joshmouch » Mon 04 Dec 2006 05:22

Bump.

An ETA maybe?

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Mon 04 Dec 2006 10:16

Supplying such application would mean the same as disclosure.
The problem is quite involved. We are working on deploying a solution, but please be warned that this will take some time and plan your development strategy accordingly.

poirazis

Post by poirazis » Mon 04 Dec 2006 10:38

Could u please define "some time" so we can actually plan our development projects ? These are not exaclty good news, I am sure you can understand what difficult position all of us developing on Vista are now, and how will we explain this delay to our bosses ? I would really expect that you would have planned for this release. I mean there were Betas and RC of Vista for more than a year. How could u have not planned for the most major/important windows release ever.