VWD -Express, licensing

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
Cody21

Post by Cody21 » Thu 08 Mar 2007 17:27

Alexy, since Support here seems to be limitied to 1 reply per day, I want to add this to this perplexing and frustrating problem ... In your earlier post you had these 2 items for me to do:

4. Make sure it is embedded as a resource.
5. Execute "Build Runtime Licenses" command in the licenses.licx file context menu in the Solution Explorer view.

As I noted earlier or in another thread - and hence I think why you provided the "lc.exe" syntax - I have no option or context items in VWD 2005 to do either of those steps. Relunctantly, I sprung for the standard release of Visual Studio 2005, but it has not arrived at my door step yet. Hopefully the STANDARD version of that product will alleviate a lot of these issues. In the meantime, I still don't have a working license file.

And this is what MSDN says the "lc.exe" command is supposed to do (which seems to be WHAT it is in fact creating - a .licenses file) So I think I'm missing the final step(s) to embed this resultant file into what you are expecting me to have. how do I change this .licenses file to a .dll ????

from MSDN --

"License Compiler (Lc.exe)
The License Compiler reads text files that contain licensing information and produces a .licenses file that can be embedded in a common language runtime executable as a resource."

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Tue 13 Mar 2007 09:04

I've sent you App_Licenses.dll. Did you receive one?

Cody21

Post by Cody21 » Tue 13 Mar 2007 15:52

Alexey wrote:I've sent you App_Licenses.dll. Did you receive one?
Nope - I haven't received anything.

Are you sending to : naughty_pines at sbcglobal.net ???? If so, maybe rename the extension to .JPG and I'll rename it... It might be that certain files are restricted at my or your ISP ... (e.g., .dll's, .exe's, .zip, etc).

PS - more on this after another 2 days of working on it.

1. I uninstalled MySqlDirect and the VWD Express version. Ensured that the CoreLab dll's were removed form the GAC.

2. I received and installed the full version of Visual Studio 2005. (ka-ching) I opened my Project site and I *still* do NOT have the context item to "Build Runtime License" when I right-click my app_licenses.dll.licences as created by the "LC.EXE" command with your syntax. After 2+ hours on the phone with MS (thinking there was a VS 2005 config issue), we concluded that there is no such thing as a "context item for Building Runtime Licence" when a .licx file is clicked on ... DO you have some sort of MySqlDirect ADD-IN that is needed to me to see this option?

3. We DID figure out that the "embed as resource" is an option that I can get to in the Properties of the .licx file of the root web site - provided (Big PROVIDED) that the Project was created as a Windows Web Site -- not an ASP.NET Web Site! tell me (please) that this is Not TRUE??? Unfortunately, the site I created was NOT created in VS ... but rather EWD/FP2003 - even though I can OPEN it in VS 2005. And it is an ASP.NET 2.0 site which cannot be "converted" easliy to VS 2005. And apparently, the site must be created as a Windows application - not ASP.NET (see other post). Geesh, this just gets uglier and uglier... For me to employ MySqlDirect, I now must recreate my entire site in VS from scratch; not just add the License .dll (when it arrives). Granted, I understand from your site that VS 2003/2005 *is* the product that it is geared for. But when I worked with it LOCAL (using Fp2003 & NWD Express), it was working fine until it came time to Licensing and publishing (FP2003).

4. Speaking of which, one last question (doubtful) and probably the most important consideration of whether I ditch this product: What I'm attempting to do is deploy this MySqlDirect datasource connector in a FP2003 (EWD) designed application. That is, the site that I created and management (publishing) was all done in FP2003 ... not VS 2005. I *really* just want to use VS 2005 as the "connector piece" since FP2003 is so much easer to Design Web Sites in WYSIWG) So once you/we get a "working" app_licenses.dll file, am I going to be able to just include that file with the CoreLab .dll's in the /BIN directory of my FP2003 web site and have this all working (published) in FP2003 (and not have to use VS 2005)???? If the answer is "No - you must build/deploy/publish using VS 2005", then this has been a total waste of my money and both of our time... But I would like a confirmation on this approach. Are other clients doing this - that is, Developing and deploying this MySqlDirect DataConncector using anything other than VS 2005 ?

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Wed 14 Mar 2007 11:56

Are you sending to : naughty_pines at sbcglobal.net ????
I know only this address, so I am sending all my replies to it.
If so, maybe rename the extension to .JPG and I'll rename it... It might be that certain files are restricted at my or your ISP ... (e.g., .dll's, .exe's, .zip, etc).
I also sent you two JPG files to show, how App_Licenses.dll file is to be created. Seemingly, they didn't reach you as well. So I re-sent all attachments as *.txt files.
I *still* do NOT have the context item to "Build Runtime License" when I right-click my app_licenses.dll.licences
The context menu should appear when you right-click on the licenses.licx file, not the app_licenses.dll.licences one.
After 2+ hours on the phone with MS (thinking there was a VS 2005 config issue), we concluded that there is no such thing as a "context item for Building Runtime Licence" when a .licx file is clicked on ...
It must be misunderstanding. If you add a text file named licenses.licx into a WebSite project and right-click it in Visual Studio 2005 Standard you'll see this context menu item. See screenshots having been sent to you.
We DID figure out that the "embed as resource" is an option that I can get to in the Properties of the .licx file of the root web site - provided (Big PROVIDED) that the Project was created as a Windows Web Site -- not an ASP.NET Web Site!
You do not have to "embed as resource" licenses.licx file explicitly. This is done automatically when you add one to your project.
And apparently, the site must be created as a Windows application - not ASP.NET (see other post).
This is not true (see the answer on that post).
am I going to be able to just include that file with the CoreLab .dll's in the /BIN directory of my FP2003 web site and have this all working (published) in FP2003 (and not have to use VS 2005)????
We should check this carefully because we have never tested MySQLDirect .NET compartibility with FrontPage. Look forward to hearing from me again.

Cody21

Post by Cody21 » Wed 14 Mar 2007 15:25

Alexey -- please resend all emails that you intended to send me ... I found the problem as to why I wasn't getting any email from you. My ISP was denying emails from "over seas" ... I have that corrected now. So please re-send the .jpgs and the license.dll file ..

Thank you..

Cody21

Post by Cody21 » Wed 14 Mar 2007 18:18

Alexey !! Microsoft called me back this morning to followup on this licensing problem. (Yea, they called ME !! Outstanding service.)

Anyway, we stepped through this and here are the steps required for me to get this licenses generated. Please note, I am NOT using VS 2005 to PUBLISH my site. I use FP2003/EWD as my Development tool. It is so much friendlier than VS 2005 for Web Site development. I only am using VS 2005 to generate and manage the MySql components... Here's what the steps are as I noted them. The verboseness may be of benefit to anyone else new to VS and needing more detailed difrections:

1. You need to create a valid .licx file for MySql. Do the following:
a. Create a new PROJECT in VS 2005.
b. Create it as ASP.NET Web Application – the name doesn’t matter since we’re only generating a .licx file. Recall the folder name though – you’ll need it to copy the .licx file from.
c. In the DEFAULT.aspx page that comes up, right-click and choose “View Component Designer” which will make the MySql toolbox items available.
d. Drag & Drop the MySqlConnection to the page.
e. This results in a licenses.licx file being created in the Properties folder of the Project.
f. Save the Project and exit.
2. In VS 2005, open “your web site” as Web Site
3. If the License Class is not yet defined, do the following:
a. Copy the Licenses.licx file from CoreLab
b. Right click the Solution item at the top, click on Add \ New \ Project \ Class Library
c. Create it in the Visual Studio 2005 \Projects folder – name it something meaningful (e.g., CorelabLicense )
d. Right-click on the newly-defined class and choose “Add Existing Item”
e. Click on the BROWSE tab and search the folder where you created the .licx file from Step 1. (Make sure All Files *.* is selected for the search)
f. Click on the .licx file and then ADD – it will now appear inside the Class you just created.
g. In the Properties box, check that the BUILD item shows as Embedded
h. Right click on the Class and select BUILD – it must build successfully.
i. Add the reference of the Class Library project into the “City Swing” website so that the DLL of the “web site” project can be copied inside the BIN folder of the “web site” website folder.
j. Save project and exit.
k. Launch EWD / FP2003 and text & publish site.

i. Save project and exit.
j. Launch EWD / FP2003 and test & publish site.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 15 Mar 2007 09:13

I've re-sent you all my letters.
Just a couple of things I would like to add...
b. Create it as ASP.NET Web Application
This type of application is not present in the common installation of Visual Studio. So Windows Application should be choosen instead.

Also all the steps of creating the licensing information are unnecessary if VWD is functioning properly. The App_Licenses.dll file which I had sent you was created using this steps. But if a user doesn't have Visual Studio 2005 (has only VWD), then he/she would never create App_Licenses.dll using the steps provided...
Take a look at my screen shots of VWD, and you'll believe in the existance of that context menu.
And finally I want to ask you: have you resolved all the problems?

Cody21

Post by Cody21 » Thu 15 Mar 2007 13:44

Well, I *thought* this was all fixed - my site was working yesterday. I went into it this morning and am again receiving the "License not Found" error. Very strange that it wuold work for a while then suddenly start failing, don't you think?

Anyway, I detached the app_licenses.dll file, saved it to my \bin directory, and republished my site.. It appears to be working again ... But I'll have to keep checking it throughout the day.

I also emailed you a screen shot of what MY context menu looks like in Visual Studio Standard 2005. As you'll see, I do NOT have that option. Is it an Add-In of some sort???

I'll monitor throughout the day and report back. Thanks

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 16 Mar 2007 07:35

Any update on this?
By the way, I think files should be zipped before sending to me.

Cody21

Post by Cody21 » Fri 16 Mar 2007 15:01

All working fine using the app_licenses.dll file that you sent me.

Thank you ... we can close this.

(I will attempt to create my own license file (now that I know the "issue") later after things are stable.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 16 Mar 2007 15:11

OK, you are welcome.

alhoymli

Plz , send me the App_Licenses.dll file

Post by alhoymli » Sat 24 Mar 2007 05:59

hello ,

I am trying to get the "App_Licenses.dll" but its not working , please send me that file .

thanks for help

Cody21

Re: Plz , send me the App_Licenses.dll file

Post by Cody21 » Sat 24 Mar 2007 14:15

alhoymli wrote:hello ,

I am trying to get the "App_Licenses.dll" but its not working , please send me that file .

thanks for help
If you're trying to generate your own license, the thing I finally discovered was that the liceses.licx file *MUST* be in the root of your project or the Context Item to "Build Runtime License" will not appear in VWD or VS2005. Just an FYI ...

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Mon 26 Mar 2007 06:56

alhoymli wrote:I am trying to get the "App_Licenses.dll" but its not working
What is not working? Any error? Please describe in detail. What is the version of IDE you are using?