(Re)-generating strong typed datasets from a dataadapter

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
seebrown99

(Re)-generating strong typed datasets from a dataadapter

Post by seebrown99 » Fri 10 Mar 2006 19:23

Hi, a quick question:

Due to a rather unfortunate (but mild) obsessive compulsive disorder habit, in my projects I like to keep all my forms in a forms folder, classes is a classes folder and datasets in a datasets folder. It really bugs me to see files where they shouldn't be and I'm desperate to get them filed 'tidily'.

When I generate a dataset from a dataadapter in the form designer, it gets placed into the project's 'root' folder. I can delete the instance of the dataset from the form, drag the dataset class to my dataset folder and then re-add an instance of that dataset to the form, no problem.

When I have issues is when I want to modify the strong typed dataset (add new tables for example) and re-generate it from the dataadapter in the form designer. When I do this, I end up with another dataset class in the root folder, and then I get issues with one class being marked partial by Intellisense, then I get duplicate method definitions.

Would it be possible for the generate dataset function to look for an existing dataset with a matching name, and to update/overwrite it if it finds one? This would be great as I can then file all my dataset classes tidily away into a folder and not sit twitching in horror at having class files in my project root... :wink:

Serious

Post by Serious » Thu 16 Mar 2006 15:48

We have improved MySQLDirect .NET in the way you requested. The changes will be included in the next release.