Managing Different Versions of dotConnect

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
nickh

Managing Different Versions of dotConnect

Post by nickh » Thu 10 Apr 2014 17:57

I have a project that's currently using MySql dotConnect 7.8. I'm starting a new project and would like to use the latest version for it, but don't want to upgrade the previous project at the moment.

I've searched the forum for was to manage multiple versions but couldn't find a clear answer.

Is there any way to manage things in an XCopy way, or can I install multiple versions side by side?

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Managing Different Versions of dotConnect

Post by Shalex » Fri 11 Apr 2014 09:16

Please refer to http://forums.devart.com/viewtopic.php?t=20149 (this thread is about dotConnect for Oracle, but the situation with dotConnect for MySQL is the same).

nickh

Post by nickh » Fri 11 Apr 2014 09:29

Thanks, I saw that post but the solution...
Solution for developing applications with different versions of dotConnect for Oracle on the same machine is uninstall/install-ing provider every time when switching between versions.
Isn't really a great solution. :(

It's a shame your installer doesn't just allow multiple versions to be installed side by side and use a directory structure like

Devart\dotConnect\MySQL\7.8\
Devart\dotConnect\MySQL\8.2\

etc

nickh

Post by nickh » Thu 05 Jun 2014 10:48

Revisiting this as it's causing us some pain at the moment. Our dC 7.x project throws exceptions when using 8.x.

Could someone advise what would happen if I:

1) Uninstall all versions of dotConnect Mysql and remove policy*DevArt from the GAC and any other DevArt references in the GAC.
2) Install version 7.x on a virtual machine and copy the assemblies
3) Install version 8.x on a virtual machine and copy the assemblies
4) Reference project X to 7.x assembly files (not GAC) and project Y to 8.x assembly files (not GAC)

What additionally needs to be done to make licensing work? Is it even possible?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 05 Jun 2014 15:24

nickh wrote:Revisiting this as it's causing us some pain at the moment. Our dC 7.x project throws exceptions when using 8.x.
Please specify the exact text of the error and its full stack trace with all inner exceptions.
nickh wrote:Could someone advise what would happen if I:

1) Uninstall all versions of dotConnect Mysql and remove policy*DevArt from the GAC and any other DevArt references in the GAC.
2) Install version 7.x on a virtual machine and copy the assemblies
3) Install version 8.x on a virtual machine and copy the assemblies
4) Reference project X to 7.x assembly files (not GAC) and project Y to 8.x assembly files (not GAC)
This approach will work if you are not going to use any design time features of dotConnect for MySQL.
nickh wrote:What additionally needs to be done to make licensing work? Is it even possible?
Please generate the license resources for each project on your virtual machines where the corresponding version of dotConnect for MySQL is installed: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/mysql/ ... nsing.html > Compiling License Manually.