Data Source Configuration Wizard?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
seebrown99

Data Source Configuration Wizard?

Post by seebrown99 » Tue 31 Jan 2006 20:04

I'm trying the MySQLDirect.NET provider to replace the MySQL Connector/.NET product, as I was impressed with the integration offered over the MySQL AB product. I'm working in VB, by the way.

One question though - I can't seem to get any integration with the VS2005 Data Source Configuration Wizard (DSCW), and if I try to add data sources, I can't select the MySQLDirect provider, only the MS ones supplied with VS2005.

Is there any integration at this level, or am I limited to dragging and dropping connections, commands and adapters onto a form, then generating a dataset?

On a related note, when generating datasets, is there any way to re-generate a dataset over the existing one, or do I have to delete and re-generate? Doing this means unhooking the dataset in many locations if I have used a common dataset in multiple forms. Of course, support for the DSCW would mean I could have common datasets in my application and use them in multiple forms and modules, which would be handy.

Last question: Is there any way to stop it asking me if i want to regenerate parameters? With a lot of datasets and lots of tables (my DB now has over 60 tables and growing!), this gets kind of tiresome...

Other than those small issues, great looking product so far, and I'm just trying to get enough of my app ported to MySQLDirect & framework 2.0 to prove that it all will work as I hope, then I'll be making a permanant jump and saying goodbye to the MySQL Connector/.NET.

Thanks & regards,

Chris

Serious

Re: Data Source Configuration Wizard?

Post by Serious » Wed 01 Feb 2006 07:20

seebrown99 wrote:One question though - I can't seem to get any integration with the VS2005 Data Source Configuration Wizard (DSCW), and if I try to add data sources, I can't select the MySQLDirect provider, only the MS ones supplied with VS2005.
The work on this functionality is in progress now. Features you want will be included in the next release of MySQLDirect .NET.
seebrown99 wrote:On a related note, when generating datasets, is there any way to re-generate a dataset over the existing one, or do I have to delete and re-generate? Doing this means unhooking the dataset in many locations if I have used a common dataset in multiple forms. Of course, support for the DSCW would mean I could have common datasets in my application and use them in multiple forms and modules, which would be handy.
Next version will include some features which will solve the problem you've specified.
Last question: Is there any way to stop it asking me if i want to regenerate parameters? With a lot of datasets and lots of tables (my DB now has over 60 tables and growing!), this gets kind of tiresome...
We have similar requests and defect you've pointed will be fixed.

seebrown99

Post by seebrown99 » Wed 01 Feb 2006 10:07

Thanks for the responses, it's nice to know that you're working on these features.

What is the situation with upgrades for licensed developers? Are minor version releases covered in the license? Are major version releases available on upgrade pricing?

Serious

Post by Serious » Wed 01 Feb 2006 10:30

As described here you have to pay for upgrade for major version releases (e.g. license for 2.x to 3.x version). You do not have to pay for minor version upgrade (e.g. from 3.00 to 3.05 version).

seebrown99

Post by seebrown99 » Wed 01 Feb 2006 10:33

Seems fair enough!

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue 07 Feb 2006 18:17

One question though - I can't seem to get any integration with the VS2005 Data Source Configuration Wizard (DSCW), and if I try to add data sources, I can't select the MySQLDirect provider, only the MS ones supplied with VS2005.
The work on this functionality is in progress now. Features you want will be included in the next release of MySQLDirect .NET.
Has this issue been addressed yet?

Serious

Post by Serious » Wed 08 Feb 2006 07:58

oleg542 wrote: Features you want will be included in the next release of MySQLDirect .NET.
Version I've written about isn't released yet.

Rob

any news on next release

Post by Rob » Wed 15 Feb 2006 18:48

Is there any news on the next release that includes the Data Source Configuration Wizard integration. I am currently involved in a project where we wish to use it. Is the next version going to be released soon (within a week?) or should we be looking at alternate technologies?

Rob

Serious

Post by Serious » Thu 16 Feb 2006 08:31

We plan to publish Beta release of next version in less than a week. Final release will be published in a week after beta one.

Post by Guest » Fri 17 Feb 2006 21:49

I want to test this beta. Will it a public beta or what do I have to do to get it ?

Serious

Post by Serious » Mon 20 Feb 2006 06:08

It will be a public beta, you'll be able to test it.