Bizarre SSIS Package connection disruption issue

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
LBUser

Bizarre SSIS Package connection disruption issue

Post by LBUser » Mon 28 Jan 2013 23:37

Hi Group,
I have an insensible issue that has presente itself that I'd appreciate wider community mind input on.

Background:
SSIS package: 12 months (unchanged) - 1 MySQL connection object.
DotConnect for MySQL version: 7.1 pro
SQL Server version: SQL Server 2005 Service pack 4
MySQL version: 5.1

Issue:
A client has an SSIS package that has been insitu and running without issue for 12 months is now failing with broken connection and data type mismatch isues.
Curiously, when I open the package up in visual studio 2005 and run it in debug mode, it fails at a particular step about 2/3 of the way through (having already made 7 successful connections to the same MySQL server for other tables). However, when I right click and execute the offending step on its own, the step succeeds --. meaning that dirty data or programming issues can be ruled out.

The MyQL DB that the package references is in a hosted environment that is managed by a datacentre services company. Their DBA's claim that the only difference that was made on the server was that recently the local MySQL OLE DB driver's licence had expired and that a new one had to be applied. I've requested the make and version info of the driver, although I'm skeptical of its correlation as my client is using Dotconnect for MySQL 7.1 for access, and I'd have assumed that this wouldn't leverage the MySQL OLE DB driver at all.

Has anyone encountered this issue before, of if not, any ideas on debugging, as the MSSQL environment has been static, its only the MySQL environment thats changed, and my client clearly needs to drive the diagnostic direction of their datacentre services supplier.

Also, my client is considering upgrading the version 7.1 driver to 7.4. Given that they bought this driver not 12 months ago, does anyone know if the quoted 12 month support allows for version upgrades in that period (FYI, I'm considering the possibility that the dotconnect driver may need updating if the provider has been changing local packages on the MySQL server).

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Bizarre SSIS Package connection disruption issue

Post by Shalex » Tue 29 Jan 2013 09:38

LBUser wrote:my client is considering upgrading the version 7.1 driver to 7.4. Given that they bought this driver not 12 months ago, does anyone know if the quoted 12 month support allows for version upgrades in that period
The subscription is valid for 1 year after the purchase. So you can download new versions of dotConnect for MySQL for free during a year. When this period ends, you need to renew your subscription to get access to Registered Users' Area again to download the latest versions. But the license itself is permanent in the sense that a particular version can be used without any time limitations.
If the latest versions of the provider are not available for your account in Registered Users' Area for some reason, please contact our Sales department (sales at devart*com) to solve the issue.

(!) Be aware that Visual Studio 2005 support is discontinued starting from dotConnect for MySQL v7.2.132: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/mysql/ ... story.html.
LBUser wrote:A client has an SSIS package that has been insitu and running without issue for 12 months is now failing with broken connection and data type mismatch isues.
If the upgrade doesn't help, specify the following information:
1) the exact messages and call stacks of the "broken connection" and "data type mismatch" errors
2) you are using VS2005 (SSIS2005), aren't you?
3) the build number (x.xx.xxx) of your current dotConnect for MySQL
4) the exact (5.1.XX) version of your MySQL server
5) your connection string (roughly, without credentials)
6) if possible, create and send us a test package with the DDL/DML scripts for MySQL and SQL Server