dotConnect & MySQL license

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
dwdwa

dotConnect & MySQL license

Post by dwdwa » Thu 27 Dec 2012 06:37

Hi there

I have a question regarding the MySQL (not the dotConnect) license about closed source software, i.e. I am not sure whether I got it right.

If we build our application database-independent s.t. the client is not required to use MySQL, we do not have to buy a MySQL license from Oracle.
Now, using dotConnect instead of the MySQL Connector, we still might attach MariaDB behind it and thus are still database independent.
This means that we still do not have to acquire the commercial license from Oracle.

Is this true?

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: dotConnect & MySQL license

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 28 Dec 2012 09:30

dotConnect for MySQL license allows you to use dotConnect for MySQL, i.e. to compile assemblies that have direct references to Devart assemblies and to use Devart classes.
Questions concerning the MySQL Server license are beyond our authorization and you should address them to the MySQL support team.

We have not tested dotConnect for MySQL with MariaDB, and cannot guarantee their compatibility. We will perform the required tests and notify you about the results as soon as possible.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: dotConnect & MySQL license

Post by Pinturiccio » Mon 04 Mar 2013 14:09

You can use dotConnect for MySQL together with MariaDB. We have completed all the required tests successfully and as a result, we can say that dotConnect for MySQL supports MariaDB.