"Tiny As Boolean" doesn't work

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
Idsa

"Tiny As Boolean" doesn't work

Post by Idsa » Wed 20 Jul 2011 21:31

Looks like "Tiny As Boolean" setting doesn't work. I set it to "True" update EF model from database but still get sbyte

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 21 Jul 2011 07:44

Are you using the Microsoft ADO.NET Entity Data model (.edmx)?
We have added the Tiny As Boolean support only for Devart Entity models (.edml). The functionality of the Devart Entity models is almost identical to the Microsoft Entity models, but our models are edited in the more convenient designer - Entity Developer, which is integrated in Visual Studio. To add a Devart Entity model to your project, go to Add New Item...->Data->Devart Entity model.

Idsa

Post by Idsa » Thu 21 Jul 2011 07:52

Hm... I surely don't want to use not-standard model :)

I am migrating my application from MySQL .NET Connector and it was unpleasant to find out DotConnector doesn't map tinyint(1) to boolean as MySQL .NET Connector does.

Do you have plans to implement this feature. It is a bit strange to have "Tiny as boolean" in connection string but do not support it for the most widespread workflow.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 21 Jul 2011 08:52

We are investigating the possibility to add this functionality for Microsoft models as well. However, I'm unable to provide a definite timeframe for this functionality to be implemented.
Once again: our Devart Entity model generates the code that is fully compatible with the default Microsoft one (actually, it duplicates it in most cases, but we have added some additional features).

Idsa

Post by Idsa » Thu 21 Jul 2011 08:56

So if you have some additional features, I can't easily go back to edmx, right?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 22 Jul 2011 09:47

The structure of Microsoft (.edmx) and Devart (.edml) entity models is almost identical. Our approach offers additional functionality like:
- TPC and TPT inheritance;
- alternative code generation based on T4-patterns with broad possibilities that allow to get easily File per Class code generation;
- View Pregeneration and stored procedures handling (including stored procedures that return multiple result sets).
Note that the Devart entity model can be created/edited with Entity Developer - a handy designer with support of multiple diagrams, powerful wizards, etc.

If you want to go back from .edml to .edmx, you just have to change ".edml" to ".edmx" in the name of your model.

Idsa

Post by Idsa » Fri 22 Jul 2011 09:53

Thank you, now I got it. If it was a majot feautre, I would do it. But for now I can leave tinyint and hope you will finally implement the same feature for edmx :)

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 25 Jul 2011 12:58

The TINYINT(1) to Boolean mapping in Entity Data Model Wizard/Update From Database Wizard when connection string includes "Tiny As Boolean=true;" is supported. Look forward to the next build of dotConnect for MySQL. We will post here when it is available for download.

Idsa

Post by Idsa » Mon 25 Jul 2011 15:39

Glad to hear. But looks like I am going back to MySQL .NET Connector. After they have fixed some critical bug, it looks reasonable for me: according to your license agreement, I have no idea how to combine my open source projects and your providers.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 29 Jul 2011 09:26

New build of dotConnect for MySQL 6.30.196 is available for download!
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/mysql/download.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only): http://secure.devart.com/ .
For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21606 .