Mobile merge or embedd mysql.data.dll problem ?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
morosan.mihai

Mobile merge or embedd mysql.data.dll problem ?

Post by morosan.mihai » Thu 23 Jun 2011 14:58

i use .Net Reactor to protect my software and I'm trying to merge or embedd the dll in my application so i will not be visible. I add all my dll in Net reactor i select the MergeAssemblies ... All my other dll work corectly .. but Mysql.data.dll says "license not found" ... if i deploy my appliction without trying to merge my assembly with mysql.data.dll it works but the user has access to the dll and could delete it.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 24 Jun 2011 08:30

dotConnect for MySQL does not include MySql.Data.dll. This is an assembly of other provider. Please contact the corresponding support team.

morosan.mihai

Post by morosan.mihai » Fri 24 Jun 2011 08:35

sorry i wrote in a hurry i meant Devar.Data.Mysql.dll

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 27 Jun 2011 14:29

1. Please specify the exact version (x.xx.xxx) and edition (Professional, Mobile, etc) of dotConnect for MySQL you are using. You can find it in the Tools > MySQL > About menu of Visual Studio. It should be of the 6.30.165 or higher version (revision history).
2. Tell us the version (x.x.x.x) of your .NET Reactor and the exact steps we should follow to reproduce the issue. Are you getting "license not found" when building the result assembly in .NET Reactor or when deploying it in your production environment?

I cannot reproduce the problem with a console application using dotConnect for MySQL v 6.30.172 Professional and .NET Reactor v 4.4.0.0 (default settings + selected the "Merge Assemblies" option).

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 27 Jun 2011 14:55

3. As a workaround, try embedding instead of merging (http://www.eziriz.com/help/merge.html):
"3rd party libraries are often already protected and it is not recommend to merge them with the main assembly. If you have troubles merging assemblies you should embed them inside the main assembly instead."

morosan.mihai

Post by morosan.mihai » Mon 27 Jun 2011 20:18

i am using dotConnect Mobile for MySQL Standard Edition 6.30.172 ... .Net Reactor 4.4.0.0 ... I made a project in .Net Reactor ... added in Main Assembly the path to \bin\Debug\My Project.exe then added Additional Files some 2 dll's of mine (custom controls) and C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v3.5\WindowsCE\Devart.Data.MySql.dll ... i checked The MergeAssemblies box ... Set my protection preset as Application Strongest ... and that's about it in .net reactor. Now in Visual Studio ... Tools -> .Net Reactor -> checked Enabled -> Added the path to my .net reactor project .. Output File is \ and also i checked Project Output is part of a Deployment Project ... And when i click Deploy .Net Reactor looks like it's doing his job ... the application is beeing deployed on my Windows CE Device. Now judging from my file size the dll is merged into the main assembly.. when my application is trying to open a mysql connection it gives : License not found. Please view "Licenseing" topic in dotConnect for MySQL documentation for details or contact Devart technical support.

I've tryed without checking Project Output is part of a Deployment Project .. same thing ... checking Merge Only (No protection) ... same thing ... checking Embedd Assemblies ... when the application is deployed on my Windows Ce Device ... it also deployes Devar.Data.Mysql.dll ... in the application folder ... if i leave it there it works ... but when i delete it ... it says that Devart.Data.Mysql or one if its dependencies was not found ... so Embedd Assemblies is not the way for me. I've tryed with the Application Standard preset ... same thing ... btw if i click Scan for Additional files in .net reactor Devart.data.mysql is not added automatically ... i have to add it myself ... if i set the property Copy local True for devar.data.mysq.dll ... then it.s added automatically ... but with the same result .. license not found ...

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 28 Jun 2011 13:02

We have reproduced the "License not found" error with the assembly that is merged with Devart.Data.MySql.dll - it doesn't matter if merging is done with Reactor .NET or ILMerge.exe. The problem is specific only for Mobile Edition. We will investigate the issue and notify you about the results as soon as possible. As a workaround, please deploy your application with Devart.Data.MySql.dll as a separate assembly.

morosan.mihai

Post by morosan.mihai » Tue 28 Jun 2011 15:17

glad to here that . . . hope to here from you soon . . . thank you

morosan.mihai

any fixes ?

Post by morosan.mihai » Wed 14 Sep 2011 19:58

did this get fixed in 6.50 ?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 19 Sep 2011 07:42

We are investigating the problem. We will notify you about the results of our investigation as soon as possible.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 22 Sep 2011 16:14

The bug with license check in ILMerged assembly in Mobile Edition is fixed. We will post here when the corresponding build of dotConnect Mobile for MySQL is available for download.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 30 Sep 2011 13:23

New build of dotConnect for MySQL 6.50.228 is available for download now!
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/mysql/download.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only).
For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22165 .