Windows 7 32bit System.InvalidOperationException

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
thekman

Windows 7 32bit System.InvalidOperationException

Post by thekman » Mon 30 May 2011 17:58

Problems trying to isolate an issue. Our VB software occasionally crashes like once a day. But can go for a week with no issues at times. The event log error we get is always the following. I have added try catch routines that log where we are at in the applcation at every location that we used devart. However when this error happens it is not triggering any of the try catch routines. I'm assuming it is related to devart because of the "P4: Devart.Data.MySql" below.
Any suggestions on how to determine what is causing the issue.

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 25/05/2011 7:05:43 PM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Server
Description:
Fault bucket 1764956939, type 5
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: virtual_bottomline.exe
P2: 1.4.4064.28951
P3: 4d5c6fbe
P4: Devart.Data.MySql
P5: 5.0.16.0
P6: 49391da3
P7: 3f8
P8: 38
P9: System.InvalidOperationException
P10:

The only other error is in the system error log
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2"
Apparently their IT pesonnel updated the drivers and the bios, but I do still see this error on average 3 times a day but not exactly correlating to the time of the application crashes. I have searched on the 'The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2' and found very little helpful information.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 01 Jun 2011 12:18

Try to debug your application and obtain a detailed call stack when it crashes. If the Debug mode of Visual Studio you are running your code from doesn't show call stack, you can obtain it by connecting from another instance of Visual Studio (2nd) (Debug | Attach to Proccess) to the first VS. Before attaching don't forget to make these settings in your 2nd Visual Studio: a) in the (Debug | Exceptions) window select Common Language Runtime Exceptions; b) in the (Tools | Options) window, Debugging | General - clear Enable Just My Code (Managed Only).

thekman

client's computer not development computer

Post by thekman » Wed 01 Jun 2011 20:33

The application is crashing on the clients computer not my development environment. Is there a way of obtaining the detailed call stack on their computer without visual studio?
Or some other method of determining more details of the crash?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 02 Jun 2011 14:02

You can create a handler for the UnhandledException event of your AppDomain. It allows the application to log information about the exception before the system default handler reports the exception to the user and terminates the application. For example, write the necessary information (message, stack trace, inner exception, etc) to a log file.

Refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library ... ption.aspx.