Performance: dotConnect for MySQL / Entity Framework

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
gregsemple2003

Performance: dotConnect for MySQL / Entity Framework

Post by gregsemple2003 » Thu 28 Apr 2011 00:45

Hi there,

I'm implementing an application-tier database cache, and I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on the performance of dotConnect for MySQL, specifically concerning some of the features listed on the website:

Performance
* High performance batch processing
* Intelligent fetch block size control

I'm mostly interested in what constitutes batch processing, since I'm more familiar with "bulk binds" in Oracle, which can improve performance by 10x. Do they offer similar functionality, and if so are those optimizations also able to be leveraged by EF when doing SaveChanges for a large number of objects?

Also, if you could point me to the section of the API that deals with batch processing, then I can do my own testing.

Much appreciated, thank you!

Greg

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 29 Apr 2011 12:46

The features you are pointing out are not EF-specific.
The first one deals with the MySqlDataAdapter.ExecuteBatch method, and the second one - with the MySqlDataReader and MySqlCommand FetchSize property.
However, we have added the BatchUpdates feature in the latest 6.30.145 Beta build of dotConnect for MySQL.
We are working on an article describing the Batch Updates and other functionality improvements at the moment.
Here is a simple use case:

Code: Select all

MySqlEntityProviderConfig config = MySqlEntityProviderConfig.Instance;
config.SqlFormatting.Disable();
config.DmlOptions.BatchUpdates.Enabled = enableBatchUpdates;
config.DmlOptions.BatchUpdates.AsynchronousBatch = true;
config.DmlOptions.BatchUpdates.BatchSize = batchSize;
The MySqlEntityProviderConfig class is available in the Devart.Data.MySql.Entity.Configuration namespace of the Devart.Data.MySql.Entity assembly.