Question on ASP.Net Membership table: migrating to MS SQL

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
MrBishop

Question on ASP.Net Membership table: migrating to MS SQL

Post by MrBishop » Wed 19 Jan 2011 14:23

I've got a project using the ASP.Net membership provider for MySQL that we're migrating to MS SQL. This uses an older version of dotConnect, before the password salt feature was added; however, when I set up the MS SQL tables, it looks like the passwordsalt field in the membership table is required.

Is there a known salt that dotConnect uses by default that I can use, or am I going to have to re-generate passwords for all the users?

Thanks,
Michael

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 20 Jan 2011 12:59

Here is a description of using PasswordSalt for securing password (it is only used for hashed passwords): http://www.asp.net/security/tutorials/c ... -server-vb, the Securing Passwords section.

Before adding support for password salt in the 5.80.140 version of dotConnect for MySQL, no randomly generated string (PasswordSalt) was used for the hashed password. So try leaving the PasswordSalt fields blank when migrating.

MrBishop

Post by MrBishop » Fri 21 Jan 2011 20:32

Shalex wrote:So try leaving the PasswordSalt fields blank when migrating.
This was it, after putting an empty string in the PasswordSalt column, it works.

Thanks!