MS SQL Server linked server to MySQL using dotConnect?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
bwatts

MS SQL Server linked server to MySQL using dotConnect?

Post by bwatts » Tue 28 Sep 2010 16:14

Hi,

Is it possible to use dotConnect for MySQL to create a SQL Server linked server? I am trying to get transaction support which is missing from the MySQL .NET connector.

Zero-G.

Post by Zero-G. » Wed 29 Sep 2010 11:33

Transaction is not missed in mySQL Connect drivers.
The storage engine has to be INNODB - This is the only Transaction-able Storage engine in mySQL (FalconDB will be able in v6 of mySQL).

Transaction is working fine with the mySQL .NET Drivers from devart.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 30 Sep 2010 09:31

Zero-G, thank you for your comments.

Bwatts, if you encounter any difficulties with creating linked server to MySQL, please describe them, and we will investigate the issue.

yogenr

MsSql linked Server to MySql using dotconnect for MySql

Post by yogenr » Tue 05 Oct 2010 15:28

Hi there.

I want to create a linked server on ms sql using dotconnect for mysql. I have install dotconnect 5.80.170.0 trial. However, when I select the option to create a new linked server in ms sql server management studio, the dotconnect driver does not show in the provider list. I am not sure what else to do to get it to appear in the list.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Thu 07 Oct 2010 14:31

At the moment, integration with SQL Server Management Studio is not available. We will analyze the possibility of implementing such integration and inform you about the results.

As an alternative, you can use SQL Server Integration Services to copy or move data from your MySQL database to SQL Server:
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/mysql/ ... _SSIS.html

StanislavK
Devart Team

Post by StanislavK » Tue 28 Dec 2010 14:57

We have analyzed the situation. As SQL Server Management Studio uses the OLE DB technology to manage linked servers, it is impossible to integrate dotConnect for MySQL into SSMS. We can only recommend to use SQL Server Integration Services instead.